Moog Etherwave problems: constant pitch and very quiet

Posted: 2/21/2009 7:44:28 PM
extragabe

So I just finished building my Moog Etherwave and I am happy that it does in fact make noise, but I am having a few problems:

Problem 1: Is the theremin supposed to just constantly make noise even when I'm nowhere near it? My theremin makes a constant pitch as soon as I turn it on and only stops making noise if I turn it off or put my hand near the volume antenna. Is that normal?

Problem 2: My theremin is very quiet. I turn the volume knob all the way up and can barely hear it.

Problem 3: I'm using headphones and sound only comes out of one side. I figure this must have something to do with the audio output jack.

Suggestions?
Posted: 2/21/2009 8:24:42 PM
vonbuck

The tech guys will be here soon to tell you what's what, but...

1. It will always produce a note, you need to tune the instrument.

2. The volume knob doesn't contol the volume. That's for setting the responce from the loop or volume antenna.

3.Your head phones are probably stereo, the theremin output is mono.

That will get you started. Ok gang, explain in detail...

andy
Posted: 2/21/2009 9:13:44 PM
Thierry

a) The output level of the Etherwave is mono and too low for driving a headphone. You must connect an amplifier.

b) If the Etherwave produces a sound even when you are far away and this sound becomes lower and re-raises the nearer you come to the pitch antenna, that means that either it is not correctly tuned (turn the pitch knob counterclockwise in order to see if that helps) or you didn't put the cover on it which is essential.
Posted: 2/22/2009 12:19:46 AM
extragabe

okay hey thank you guys for your replies. everything is working perfectly now actually. after i plugged it into an amplifier, i found that there really was nothing wrong with it at all! i guess i did build it correctly. sorry for wasting forum space! :/

btw: holy crap, i LOVE this thing! i can't wait to learn how to play it well.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.