Moog Theremini!

Posted: 6/14/2017 4:24:05 PM

Electro Harmonix makes pedals that probably do what you want, except the samples are not replaceable.

If you want keyboard, organ, synth or mellotron samples to be played back on your theremin this is the best bet.

Tracking is excellent and is not pitch corrected.

You can process the output to add variety or blend them together.

Otherwise, you need a sampler and that is unlikely to do justice to the theremin - maybe use a Roli as a controller.

Posted: 3/2/2018 11:18:19 AM

After some time spent with the theremini I can say that it was a very clever move from Moog to introduce this instrument....

It is not a proper theremin but it is a nice introduction to the "aerial world". Of course you can play melodies like a theremin when you switch off the pitch correction but the playable range is very limited.

For the purists I will say that the theremini motivated me to buy a proper theremin, the Moog Etherwave. So it is silly to say that "the theremini is destroying the theremin", I think the opposite is happening, it is opening the theremin world to beginners - to more people.

So to play melodies on the theremini for me it is much easier to turn the pitch correction all way down, and with a good ear after a while you can start playing simple stuff - of course the theremini is playable! - but- in the middle range not on the high and low registers...

And also the theremini was a good practice for me - now that I've got the Etherwave I can play much easier with it  

Posted: 3/2/2018 5:00:51 PM
Doug Forbes

I don't know if this has been answered or not but a search didn't turn up an answer so here goes...

Has anyone disassembled a Theremini without boogerin the case ? I know there's that dude on youtube but he just says it's a difficult job and doesn't tell how to do it. Moog customer service is no help whatsoever. Ever.

Thanks for any help

Doug Forbes

Posted: 3/2/2018 5:57:52 PM

Hi Doug! :-)

I bought a v1 Theremini for the expressed purpose of cracking it open, and posted the pix, analysis, and impressions here at TW.  Link

Opening the case is just a matter of removing the rubber feet, which are glued on, to expose the screws.  You can just press them back on later, but a bit of glue wouldn't hurt (I used Elmer's IIRC).

To me, the Theremini is in the uncanny valley of Theremins, it's tantalizingly close, but ultimately fails.  If one wants a real Theremin the price difference is only $89 (Theremini vs. EWS on Amazon) and there are used ones out there for the budget conscious.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.