Drawing on Etherwave - materials

Posted: 5/24/2015 11:44:11 PM
coalport

There is a wonderful technique for etching on wood called “kolrosing” that is often used for replicas of ancient harps and lyres. It consists of cutting a design into the wood with a very fine blade, and then rubbing charcoal and wax into the surface to bring out the pattern. I have never seen it used for a theremin but I think it would be GREAT!

Using blood is a wonderfully romantic idea - and kind of witchy Game Of Thrones - but the results will be disappointing. Anybody see THE RED VIOLIN, where the luthier used the blood of his dead wife to color the varnish he used on his instrument…..

Here is a demonstration of the use of the technique of “kolrosing” on a replica of the Trossingen lyre by luthier Michael J. King.

https://youtu.be/U8WmwVQe3X4

Posted: 5/26/2015 1:34:30 PM
GordonC

The creepiness rather depends on whose blood you use and the circumstances of its collection. 

Posted: 5/26/2015 10:50:09 PM
xtheremin8

kolrosing looks very attractive for graphics!  originally cut with flint shards, maybe?   worth to mention, that the preparation of the surface is very important: sand it well, always along with the wood grain. he mentions in that video something like 320k and that's quite fine, almost shiny. not sure how fine the ew-kit is already out of the box, i would say around 120k-180k? of course, thats good enough for laquering the whole case, but for a oiled finish, one can go as fine as he like to. or the shop offers.... there was a guy from brasil, he made a fine case for his SC-Kit.: another jaycar-mod .

the advantage of a simple first layer of varnish, is that you can make some corrections on the design more easily than on the plain wood. even pencil is sometimes a pain in the *$$.

bloodfact: contains albumin, so like egg-yolk, a very effective binding agent for pigments. but should not end in a goth party.

Posted: 7/28/2015 5:58:18 PM
xtheremin8

Staining-Wood-With-Wodka-Walnuts a nice instructable for a mild summernight. btw. oak-bark,prepared similar soothes sunburns, but both won't improve my theremin playing.

Posted: 7/28/2015 9:29:12 PM
ThereminCat

I had also been thinking about a scene in the documentary on Robert Moog, when he's in the garden talking about how the sun gave energy to the green peppers he's growing, and then he would eat the peppers and that same energy would go from the sun, to the green pepper, then into him.  I thought it was so deeply beautiful how Robert Moog talked about electrical energy in such a comprehensive way... i remember another scene where he talked about how when he repairs an analogue synthesizer from a musician, the musician's energy is still in the circuitry, and as he works on it, his energy passes into it... (i think i'm remembering that correctly).... this idea that electrons from our body pass into the circuitry and interact with it... and not only that...  but it goes beyond us humans too... from the sun to the food we eat, the water we drink, into us, and then into the circuitry to make the music... it's so beautiful and interconnected. (Xoadc)

I watched the documentary as well - Bob Moog has said many beautiful things about the connection between the musician and instrument, how it is an extension of the person and voices the emotions and will of the musician. Also the relationship between matter, consciousness and energy and people's ability to affect and really connect with objects, both emotionally and concretely through the laws of physics. And also the natural/electrical connection between a person and and electronic circuit, with the transfer of electrons along with the ideas, materials and work put into building and operating that synthesizer or theremin. And most beautifully how he will live on through his ideas, creations and the music made from them. The Moog Music site says "Moog Music synthesizers and effects are lovingly handcrafted at the Moog factory in downtown Asheville, N.C. Each instrument and effect is built to order by real people, just for you." and Bob Moog himself has said "I suppose my instruments do retain some sort of memory of me" - it is these sentiments which ultimately led me to decide to get a Moog theremin! :) 

I think this combination of people's connection to musical instruments, circuitry and energy is why those who choose theremin are so deeply passionate about it (like us at TW, and it's been said that the theremin chooses us :) ) And also why certain people truly have a connection/relationship with their theremin - those of us (myself included) who fall in love with it! (I have decided to announce my new theremin's name when I finally get around to introducing myself in the "Roll Call 2015"! :D ) Why do we bond with our theremin more than, for example, a guitar or computer? There is the relationship between musician and instrument which always exists (and creates expressive music), but the theremin is even more an extension of one's hands (Bob Moog said this about musical instruments) than any other instrument because of the way it is played! TW members have discussed how it is similar to using one's voice to sing. Playing the theremin requires the musician to be much more in tune with oneself, the instrument and the surroundings, than any other instrument. It also does require a lot of practice, refinement, sensitivity, gentleness and dedication. And while we can interact with other circuits/electronics too, and can connect with them while building or repairing them, the theremin is unique in how the person is literally part of the circuit and a conduit of the energy transmission. Being "bioelectrical", people carry electric currents etc. and transmit/receive charges in a similar way that the theremin does. Playing a note requires the person and theremin to form capacitance together, with energy transmitted back and forth. Quite recently I was talking on a thread regarding how, like any of us, theremins can be hurt by electric/static shocks! :( This winter I must be self-aware and generous by taking all the painful little "sparks" myself and dissipating the static charges before playing my theremin! I am happy to do it though :) And I learned on the same thread that this is bad for the circuits so I will greatly limit its occurrence... but sometimes I kindly touch the volume antenna and my Etherwave will chirp happily (I can't believe some people find it annoying! :3 ), or gently hold both antennae :) But it can't be too bad because the practice is Bob Moog approved :) This is from a very sweet scene in the Moog documentary...

Note also that the theremin sounds like a human voice, with an inexact, organic pitch which transmits the emotion of the musician. Any little movement of the person playing it affects the sound - and if the environment is quiet enough (and your hearing is sensitive) you can hear the sound of the theremin responding to your heartbeat and breathing! <3

Sorry if this post is getting off topic, we should probably continue the conversation on a Bob Moog anniversary tribute thread I made: 

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/31141/lets-show-bob-moog-lots-of-love-this-august-21-2015?last=True

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts, if so I hope you'll kindly give me permission to revive a few of these nice threads I want to contribute to... thanks :) 

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/29055/bonding-with-the-theremin?Page=0

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/24822/how-intimate

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27144/did-you-name-your-theremin-is-it-a-he-she-or-other

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28781/what-gender-is-the-theremin

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27703/just-for-fun-did-you-name-your-theremin

This "Homage to a Moog" song features the voice of Bob Moog speaking on people's connection to circuitry and musical instruments. I have embedded a legal copy from the artist so as to give proper copyright credit! :)

Wow...long post! I've been on here for hours! :) How about I spend a little less time on TW and more time with my theremin - wouldn't want her to get lonely, and I will no longer be taking over the "recent posts"! Sorry for any over-posting already done :3

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.