Let's show Bob Moog lots of love this August 21, 2015!

Posted: 8/5/2015 4:00:31 PM
ThereminCat

Found it! Bob Moog playing Amazing Grace <3

This is a great CNN episode about the theremin, electronic music, Leon Theremin, Clara Rockmore and Bob Moog with wonderful footage of each :)

Posted: 8/5/2015 9:14:30 PM
coalport

As great as he was as a theremin technician and innovator, Bob Moog was not a very good theremin player - and he was the first one to admit that. Unfortunately, I’m not sure he really BELIEVED it and his failure to consult genuine virtuosos during research and development, caused him no end of problems with this high-end instruments. The technical requirements of the amateur are very different from those of a genuine adept but the amateur has no way to fully realize this. The amateur THINKS he knows, but he doesn’t. Clara Rockmore discusses this at some length in the GIFT TAPE interviews, regarding her relationship (as a virtuoso musician) with Lev Termen (as an engineer).
Posted: 8/5/2015 11:32:47 PM
ThereminCat

Yeah. The relationship between Clara Rockmore and Lev Termen allowed for both better theremin creation and playing. :)

In a great tribute to Bob Moog, a group of artists get to live with the Moog Sound Lab for a time :D

http://www.dummymag.com/news/dummy-partner-with-moog-soundlab-ace-hotel

"It has been 10 years since the passing of Dr Robert 'Bob' Moog. A true musical innovator, it would be impossible to imagine a musical world without the synths he created.

To celebrate his legacy Moog Music Inc. have loaned a specially assembled, super-stocked studio of old and new Moog instruments to Shoreditch's Ace Hotel including only a handful in the world of their new reverse engineered classic '70s Moog System 55 modular and some aural muscle from Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond speakers.

Now Dummy brings you the latest series, which will see Moog Sound Lab literally move into one of the bedrooms at Ace Hotel for an entire month of Moog-ing. The six artists will be spending four days (and nights) cosied up to the equipment which will conclude with a live performance of their creation in the Ace's basement space, Miranda."

Posted: 8/8/2015 2:23:11 AM
ThereminCat

A very special interview for today, so glad I found this! :D

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2012/10/robert-moog-re-beach-boys-good.html

Posted: 8/9/2015 2:46:27 AM
rkram53

Ok Theremin Cat. You put the Bob Moog Homage notion in my mind. Here's my part. After all, if it wasn't for him, there would be no Moog Synthesizer and hence no Switched-on-Bach that showed a young kid that Classical music can be fun and relevant - and at that point I chucked my idea of being a physician and went off to study music. That album was the defining moment in my life.

Had a piece in the drawer uncompleted for a while and dusted it off and turned it into my Elegy for Bob for Theremin (or Ondes Martenot) and Piano (though the more I hear a theremin with just a piano, the more I dislike the sound). I much prefer strings and theremin. Actually, the initial version was intended for alto flute and piano, and maybe that still works too in its final version.

The piece is pretty static. They melody just kinds of drifts around not doing very much against a rather consistent accompaniment. Just one big long melodic statement that's a bit sad but not too much.

Here's a version I did up using the Ondes Martenot Sample set - as I'm still practicing it - - just to give a notion of what it sounds like. Hopefully by 8/21 I can put a version of me playing it on the theremin that won't be horrible.

Dulces Lágrimas - Elegy for Bob

If anyone wants to take a crack at it, I put the score and accompaniment on my IMSLP site:

Dulces Lágrimas - Elegy to Bob (Score and Accompaniment)

If I ever save up enough for a Haken Continuum, I think that would be great for this.

Posted: 8/9/2015 5:00:11 AM
ThereminCat

That composition is beautiful! The accompaniment is awaiting approval but I will try to play it soon. I am working on my own musical composition as well. Wow, Bob Moog did change your life and the lives of so many others! I am composing a piece of writing to post to TW about how he affected my own life. 

That is true. There are so many things that would have been different without Dr. Moog. No Switched-On Bach and the other albums, and the movies and music would not be the same. And his passion for theremin since childhood...I'm sure he helped inspire that in many of us :)

http://moogfoundation.org/part-1-of-4-the-power-of-inspiration-by-chris-stack/

Sorry for such a late reply, after practicing Amazing Grace my theremin and I did a Star Trek marathon :3

Posted: 8/9/2015 1:18:15 PM
rkram53

Thanks. Yea it will take a day for them to make sure it's a legal post.

Can't wait to hear your piece. Your Soundcloud account looks like a blank page waiting to be filled in.

Posted: 8/10/2015 11:21:35 AM
coalport

Well guys, we’re creeping up on the big date, Aug. 21, when we’re supposed to show Bob Moog a whole lotta love - but I’m a bit confused. The dude’s dead! So how are we supposed to show him our love? Since Bob was Jewish, we can assume he isn’t in heaven with Jesus and Tammy Faye and there is nothing in the Jewish Torah promising any sort of afterlife at all (all references to “Gan Eden”, reincarnation, etc. all come from much later folklore traditions).

…so where do we direct our love on the 21st?

Posted: 8/10/2015 12:42:39 PM
rkram53

I have no idea. Unfortunately, he's not coming back anytime soon. But I'll use any excuse to write or arrange music. 

Oh well - Scap the Amazing Grace - on to my Kaddish for Theremin, Santur and Qanan (8DIO came out with inexpensive sampled versions). 

But Aug 21 is right around my year anniversary with this crazy instrument. I have a Passacaglia for Theremin and Strings I'm about to unleash on the world.

And you have been kind of silent for a bit. I've been waiting for our next installment. Something big must be in the works.

Posted: 8/10/2015 4:11:42 PM
ThereminCat

Sorry if the title was misleading. Sadly I have nothing big planned. The thing we're doing for Bob Moog is already here - it's this thread! The memories shared, songs composed and played, articles and photos found. I am really happy with the amount of response received and I'm still in the process of making more contributions myself! Thanks for all your help :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.