RIP OFF ALERT- PhotoTheremin

Posted: 10/17/2007 11:46:37 PM
giganchi

ugh
Posted: 10/18/2007 12:20:36 AM
JohnIraThomas

I think I'm going to Google everyone like this with the word "fraud" before I let go of any cash in the future. I'm challenging the charge with my credit card company and I've sent an email to Google as well.

The PA Attorney General's Office should be interested as well.
Posted: 10/18/2007 1:58:35 AM
TomFarrell

When you get ripped off online and you're in the US:

If ANYTHING was sent to you during any part of the transaction via the US postal service and you can prove it (you have the envelope or packaging with affixed canceled postage), you can involve the US postal inspector (a federal police force), because if any kind of fraud occurs and the postal service is used in any way during the process, it can constitute mail fraud. Your local post office can help you if you need more information.

If ANYTHING crossed state lines during any part of the transaction, or if ANY communication took place across state lines - and remember, even if you and the other party are in the same state, if either of your email servers or their web site are hosted in another state, then state lines were crossed by the electrons - then you can call the FBI, because then there is federal jurisdiction. They'll likely think you're small potatoes, but if you have all your details very neatly in order, they might feel like being helpful.

You can also call your local police, your state police, your state's attorney general, their state's attorney general, their state's police, their local police, and if it was an ebay transaction, the Federal Trade Commission. If you're feeling bewildered about who to call, try your state's attorney general's office first. They're usually willing to advise you about how to proceed.

Remember that you don't have to necessarily get the guy who conned you jailed or get a judgement against them to win. Sometimes a friendly cop can convince them for you that they should cough up what they owe you and leave you alone and then maybe you'll decide not to press charges. So, be real nice to the cops, and they might take care of the whole thing for you. Remember that they'll like you much more if you get all your documentation in order so there's no question you're right, and if you can articulately and succinctly tell them your story so they can very quickly grasp exactly what happened and how.
Posted: 10/18/2007 3:23:25 PM
JohnIraThomas

Here's a surprise.

Quote "proftv" :"If you would rather contact me first I have set up an email address specifically for outstanding order inquiries. The address is phototheremin@mail.com . This new address is necessary since the address posted on my website was bombarded with spam and has unreliable delivery both ways."

Just got the email I sent there back as:
"Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 : User unknown"

Google Checkout will only consider cutting him off from their service, but my card company will get my money back. Ah, progress.
Posted: 10/18/2007 3:56:52 PM
carport888

The address is phototheremin@mail.com"

Just got the email I sent there back as:
"Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 : User unknown"
END QUOTE

It looks like you may have typo-ed the email address. Is it 'phototherEmin@mail.com' or 'phototherAmin@mail.com' (as in your failure message)?
Posted: 10/18/2007 4:04:34 PM
JohnIraThomas

Indeed, upon review it is the E. Will resend, hopeful as ever. Thanks for the catch.
Posted: 10/18/2007 9:11:41 PM
JohnIraThomas

Credit Card reclaimed my money, so that's that. Hray!
Posted: 5/3/2013 3:35:12 AM
genuinefraud

I ordered a professor television theremin off ebay back in 2002. It was one of the early designs in the light blue box (before the clear boxes). I loved this little box and still do. Too bad professor television is not selling these things anymore...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.