Theremin 008 - Our good old Mate Tony Bennett

Posted: 11/22/2006 1:58:14 PM
beefheart

Hello,

I am having a left handed Theremin made by Tony at No1derland. Incidentally, We should all encourage him to kill all of his old sites. and make one real kick ass site, that is non confusing. ;-)

However, too my point. My first Theremin was a Jaycar Kit. Needless to say, It at least got me interested.

I guess I'm being a little impatient, but do any of you, or can any of you record me a little mp3 so I can have a listen to what it sounds like.
I'm having an 008.

I made a bit of a blind purchase, I Just trust the fact that they have over 40 years experience in making electrical gadgets. and the fact that they make a left handed version, won hands down ;-)

I best go and see if I can find an introduce yourself thread really.

Many Thanks

Pete - a newbie
Posted: 11/22/2006 2:55:42 PM
GordonC

Hi Pete, and may I have the honour of welcoming you to Theremin World.

Er, I think Zakiman posted a clip just after he got his 008. Hold on a sec...

Ah, here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=1855&F=557&p=4) it is.

Here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=947&F=1)'s the "introduce y'self" thread, and don't forget to pin your flag on the Member Map (http://www.thereminworld.com/map.asp).

Love the video on the front of your website BTW.

Now, go check your myspace account - you've got a friend request! [img]http://myspace-611.vo.llnwd.net/01296/11/65/1296415611_l.gif[/img]

Posted: 11/22/2006 6:57:12 PM
beefheart

Thanks for your help. For the life of me, i could not get that sound sample off that other forum post.
never mind. I'll just wait ;-)
All I want to hear is that it's a decent entry level theremin.
God, I'm like a spoilt kid. Nahhh, been waitng for about 4 weeks. I know it's not ages. I guess we all expect everything straight away. Mind you, I'd sooner it takes a while, than be rushed.
Either way, I'm sure I will find this forum useful.

Pete
Posted: 11/22/2006 10:51:39 PM
buddycraigg

beefheart, at least you are not waiting on youself.
that's the worse.
i've been sanding and varnishing for the last 5 days. having to wait 24 hours between each coat is killing me.

i have no opinion of the model you choose.

you could have bought a moog and done it from behind like Dorit
Posted: 11/23/2006 6:35:49 AM
GordonC

Do let us know what you think of the 008 when you get it. (And again when you have got the hang of it.) No1nderland is an uncommon choice amongst the online theremin community so it would be good to get some feedback. All I could find when I as choosing a theremin was one reference on Miss Hypnotique's website saying Tony made good instruments.

The only thing I can see is that the volume antenna looks a bit close to the pitch antenna, which could limit the range of the volume field. I guess the Jaycar probably suffered from that even more so - many people modify the jaycar so there is a greater separation - if it's a problem on the 008 maybe you could do the same somehow.

(If you do have any probs do phone Tony - he's a lovely guy, a genuine one-off, and friendly with it.)
Posted: 12/5/2006 3:07:34 PM
beefheart

And Still waiting for my 008 to arrive. However, on the upside, Tony tells me that he has been playing it, but just needs a few finnishing touches. So maybe tomorrow. I promise not to do it in the first week. but will post a sample of the 008 on this forum. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed when it arrives, It's just so (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) with the waiting. I just got a little peed, as I mentioned it was my birthday on 19 th nov. and said they would try to get it out for 21st. As you can imagine. However, it's not like you are dealing with a corparate giant. So you can't be all demanding, I guess it will be done when it's done. I guess I'm being a bit like a spoilt kid on 666mas day. Sorry Christmas day. And untill such a time, cannot contribute much to this forum.
Posted: 12/5/2006 3:28:20 PM
buddy_craigg

[i]And untill such a time, cannot contribute much to this forum.[/i]

and like I have anything to contribute to the forum.
but look at me... i'm a post whore
[img]http://www.locaswt.com/hf/medals/postwhoremedal2.JPG[/img]
Posted: 12/5/2006 4:59:39 PM
DiggyDog

There is something about the phrase "done it from behind like Dorit" that I like.

No disrespect to her fine theremin playing but it really puts a whole different visual image in my mind than was intended...
Posted: 12/5/2006 5:00:59 PM
DiggyDog

The only problem with doing it from behind is that you have to reach around to twist the knobs.
Posted: 12/5/2006 5:32:00 PM
buddy_craigg

there's so much to read in to that last statement, i cant even begin to count the posibilities.

a transsexual person on my car forum said something about getting a new rack, i almost fell out of my chair.

of course she was talking about a steering rack. but it still caught me off guard.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.