16th August: Extreme Theremin Recital - Charlie Draper & Katy Moe [Cafe Delight, Bristol]

Posted: 7/25/2008 10:05:48 AM
Charlie D

=== Extreme Theremin Recital - Charlie Draper & Katy Moe ===
//////// Musica Universalis presents a night you'll never forget. /////

Join Charlie and Katy on a voyage through time and space to explore the diverse, exciting and at times extreme history of electronic music. Spanning four hundred years of musical history, encompassing events from the Fall of Atlantis to the Russian Revolution, the mysterious tale of the world's first purely electronic instrument, played entirely in midair, is guaranteed to enrapture and enthrall.

The first time one hears the theremin is a moment unlikely ever to be forgotten. The player, as though in a trance, can draw a song-like melody from the air around the instrument by nothing more than the free movement of his or her hands in space. Considered by many to be one of the most challenging and esoteric instruments ever conceived, this rare opportunity to hear the instrument in concert will undoubtedly prove a night to remember.

Tickets (£4/£3) are available on the door from 8 o'clock. Arrive early to avoid disappointment. A wide variety of excellent drinks and confectioneries is available from the café-bar.
Posted: 8/3/2008 10:47:33 AM
omhoge

Congrats Charlie, sounds like it will be a very fun gig
and great Theremin Outreach too.
Let us know how it goes.
Hope some TW members can make it and report back too.
"break-an-antenna"!
Posted: 8/6/2008 8:20:30 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I want to be there!
Any way to get advance tickets - or at least an address so I end up at the right place on time?
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:54:36 AM
GordonC

Fred, you will find the information you require on Theremin UK (http://theremin.org.uk), complete with an option to have future announcements sent to you by eMail as well as an RSS feed.

Posted: 8/9/2008 2:02:29 PM
Charlie D

Gordon, thanks again for your boundless enthusiasm and free publicity. It should be fun to meet again in 2009... or perchance before?
Posted: 8/10/2008 4:22:40 AM
GordonC

Charlie. You're welcome. It would be good to see you again. I haven't had much luck getting to your recent performances. :-(

[i]Extreme Theremin[/i] - I have to ask - is that akin to extreme ironing - will you be parachuting into the auditorium whilst playing "The Only Way Is Up" by Yazz And The Plastic Population?
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:51:37 AM
Charlie D

So sorry, I just realised to my horror that there was no address or information regarding the venue:

Venue: Café Delight, 189 Gloucester Road, Bristol BS7 8BG - 0117 944 1133

Time: 8:30pm - 9:30pm

http://thereminuk-news.blogspot.com/

Oh... and with regards the 'extreme' .... you'll have to wait and see.
Posted: 8/23/2008 9:52:35 AM
omhoge

Did any of you guys make it?
I'm 'extreme'ly sad I'm so far away from this and all the UK theremin action.

Post a book report if you made it.
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:43:06 AM
Alexander

I didn't make it, sadly I had a gig of my own down at the other end of the street (no theremins though, different project entirely).

I heard it went well though!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.