Kevin Kissinger @ Y2K8 International Live Looping Festival, Santa Cruz

Posted: 10/9/2008 3:56:18 PM
kkissinger

Y2K8 International Live Looping Festival
Pearl Alley Studios
120 Pearl Alley
Santa Cruz, CA

October 19, 2008 10:00pm

The Y2K International Looping festival features musicians who utilize live-looping techniques in their music. The Pearl Alley art studio is an intimate setting where visitors experience the performances at close range and can meet musicians from all over the world.

http://www.y2kloopfest.com
Posted: 10/10/2008 6:38:08 PM
omhoge

Hope you will be able to do the surround sound set up, that was really cool.
Let us know how it goes.
good luck Kevin.
Posted: 10/13/2008 10:50:01 AM
kkissinger

This set will be a stereo set.

The venue's (small) stage area is divided into a left and right stage. While one performer plays the other sets up quietly and does a sound check through headphones. Each set is 30 minutes long.

Thus, there is only 30 minutes for the previous performer to vacate the stage and for the new performer to set up.

Each side of the stage has an independent stereo PA system (very nice, they used SRM450s last year). So, I need only set up my theremin and equipment rack and plug into the FOH mixer.

The festival organizer asked if I would improvise this year (last year I played written-out compositions). At electro-music, I performed in an improvised set and used my RC50 (loopstation) mainly to create sustained harmonies over which the other musicians played melodies.

Next week will be my first time to use my Looperlative LP1 unit in a performance. The logistics for "on the fly" improvisation is a bit different than for prepared works. In my prepared works, all the button-pushing and knob-turning are done via computer automation. For improvisation, I'll have to manage all this stuff myself. I am still in an "experimental" mode with all of this -- which should fit well with the festival which, for the most part, is improvised music.

If you are in the area, please stop by and say "hi". The venue is very small -- probably fits no more than 80 people. With continuous music in 30 minute sets, the music and the variety never stops.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.