Three theremin performances THIS weekend in SoCal

Posted: 1/20/2009 4:44:38 AM
theremin137

Hi all, sorry for the last-minute notice on this, but the orchestra's Personnel Manager only just contacted me today (Monday) for these performances this weekend!

Apparently, they had initially planned to just use a synthesizer for the theremin part in Rózsa's Spellbound but decided to find a theremin player instead. "And the rest," as they say, "is history!"

Hope you can make it!

~
CRL

===================

NEW WEST SYMPHONY
Thousand Oaks - Oxnard - Santa Monica, California
Masterpiece Series

"MOVIE MEDLEY"

Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:00 pm
Oxnard Performing Arts Center

Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:00 pm
Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza

Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 4:00 pm
Barnum Hall on the Campus of
Santa Monica High School

Boris Brott, conductor
Sean Chen, piano

Bernstein -- Symphonic Suite from On the Waterfront

Rachmaninov -- Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Opus 43

Hermann -- Suite from Psycho

Rózsa -- Spellbound Concerto (with thereminist Charles Richard Lester)

Willams -- E.T.: Adventures on Earth

Concert sponsored by DCH Lexus of Oxnard, the Santa Monica Daily Mirror and The Rosalinde & Arthur Gilbert Foundation.

SEE newwestsymphony.org for more information and tickets.

====================

CHARLES RICHARD LESTER has been playing the theremin since 1995. He has played for many engagements and of many varieties across the U.S. and in Germany -- concerts and recitals, numerous film and television scores (including the 1998 3-D animated film Monster House produced by Steven Speilberg), recordings, live television appearances, musical theatre, lecture-demonstrations, birthday parties, weddings, funerals, and even a Hawaiian luau.

In 2008 he played three live performances and recorded a compact disk (on Telarc) of Miklós Rózsa's Spellbound Concerto with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Eric Kunzel, conductor. In 2007 he played with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra in the premier performance of Russian composer Gavriil Popov's Symphonic Suite No. 1 for theremin and orchestra.

Other numerous theremin performances in the Los Angeles area include the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; A+D (Architecture Plus Design) Museum, the Grand Performances concert series in downtown Los Angeles, Disney Concert Hall (for the Hall's grand opening), the Bellflower Symphony, the Southeast Symphony, the John Anson Ford Theatre, University of California San Diego; Los Angeles City College; recitals with the renowned organist Fred Swann at the Crystal Cathedral and First Congregational Church of Los Angeles; and many, many others.

He can be found on the Internet at www.137.com/theremin.

[i][edited long unbroken strings - TWStaff][/i]
Posted: 1/20/2009 5:17:45 PM
omhoge

Congrats crl!!!!
This looks like an astounding program.
And it's very encouraging the theremin is making it onto the concert stage more and more.

Hope you can snag a good recording of it too.
Let us know how it goes.

break-an-antenna!!!

Posted: 1/21/2009 11:47:44 AM
Thomas Grillo

If I were there, I'd certainly come out to see the concert. Congrats.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.