Upcoming theremin performance at Bob Mitchell memorial

Posted: 7/9/2009 6:31:07 PM
theremin137

A special memorial service for Bob Mitchell (see below) will be held at the First Congregational Church in Los Angeles on Thursday, August 13, 2009, at 12:10 p.m. as part of the church's noon recital series.

Mr. Mitchell was a regular attendee at First Congregational's noon recitals and also played there several times. So, the church's Organist in Residence, S. Wayne Foster, thought it would be fitting to have a special service in Mr. Mitchell's honor.

Several organists will be playing favorites of Mr. Mitchell's, and I am going to play J.S.Bach's "Come Sweet Death" on the theremin, with Mr. Foster on the grand organs at First Church.

The organ of the First Congregational Church is one of the largest musical instruments ever built and the largest church organ in the world. There are over 20,000 pipes ranging in size from a few inches to 32 feet. The organ is actually comprised of five separate organs located in the Chancel, Musician's Gallery, North and South Transept Galleries, and the West Gallery. The entire resources are controlled by twin five-manual [five-keyboard] consoles, one in the Chancel and one in the West Gallery, which are the largest consoles of their type in the Western Hemisphere.

The church is located at 540 S. Commonwealth Avenue, Los Angeles, just north of 6th Street and a few blocks east of Vermont Avenue.

========================

BOB MITCHELL, the founder and leader of the Mitchell Boy's Choir for 66 years, died Saturday, July 4, 2009 after a lengthy illness.

Mr. Mitchell spent his entire life doing what he loved most: making music.

When he was 10 years old, his mother decided he should learn to play the organ so he could study the traditional music of the Episcopal Church. The only organ in Sierra Madre, where he grew up, was at the local parish. Bob has told the story many times of how he and his mother met the pastor, whom he described as a "very stuffy" Englishman, to inquire if young Mitchell could practice on the church's organ.

"No, no, no, NO one may play the awwwhgan in the church but our own awwwgganist," Mitchell comically mimicked the condescending pastor's accent. His mother sharply replied, "Well, a man of the cloth that would not allow a child to learn an instrument needs to praise almighty God!" The pastor quickly reversed his position. "Well I suppose we must make an exception in this case," Mitchell continued mimicking, "but without setting any precedent."

Not long after taking up study of the church organ, Mr. Mitchell discovered silent movies. Much to his delight, organs played an integral part in this then-new form of entertainment. "I told my mother, there's a pipe organ in the movie theater and I really want to play it!" Despite her misgivings about the vulgarity of "moving pictures," his mother took 12-year-old Robert down to The Strand Theatre on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena where he was soon employed.

When talkies ushered out the era of silent pictures, Mitchell made a successful career change to other burgeoning media. Throughout the 1930s he was staff organist at various times for KMTR, KEME, KHJ and from 1940 to 1965 at KFI radio.

Another contribution the church made to his musical life also included a love for choral music. He formed Mitchell Boy's Choir in 1934, which provided the music for and appeared in dozens of films including "Angels with Dirty Faces" with James Cagney and the Christmas classic, "The Bishop's Wife."

The Mitchell Boy's Choir also recorded with Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra among others. His work with the choir garnered him several illustrious honors including a Silver Medal from Princess Grace (Kelly) of Monaco, a Medal from the Pope and the Boy Scouts of America.

Until very recently, he played several nights a week for his old colleagues Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and other silent screen legends at the Silent Movie Theatr
Posted: 8/11/2009 11:28:18 AM
theremin137

Just a reminder about the memorial concert for Bob Mitchell at the First Congregational Church in Los Angeles on Thursday, August 13, 2009, at 12:10 p.m. as part of the church's noon recital series.

Several organists will be participating including Ray Urwin, Phil Smith, Randy Woltz, S. Wayne Foster, Robert Woolsey, William Beck, Frankie Nobert, John West, and Christoph Bull.

I am going to play J. S. Bach's "Come, Sweetest Death" on the theremin, with Mr. Foster accompanying me on the organ.

The church is located at 540 S. Commonwealth Avenue, Los Angeles, just north of 6th Street and a few blocks east of Vermont Avenue.

The organ of the First Congregational Church is one of the largest musical instruments ever built and the largest church organ in the world. There are over 20,000 pipes ranging in size from a few inches to 32 feet. The organ is actually comprised of five separate organs located in the Chancel, Musician's Gallery, North and South Transept Galleries, and the West Gallery. The entire resources are controlled by twin five-manual [five-keyboard] consoles, one in the Chancel and one in the West Gallery, which are the largest consoles of their type in the Western Hemisphere.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.