Theremin Demonstration July 23, 2009 @ Elemental Interactions: ELECTRICITY! SF, CA, USA

Posted: 7/22/2009 12:51:27 AM
theriman1

Hey there folks,

I’ve been invited to play Theremin and meet and greet the fine patrons of the arts this Thursday, July 23, between 6 and 7 pm at the Pacific Energy Center, 851 Howard Street, San Francisco. The event is named
Elemental Interactions: ELECTRICITY! (http://www.blackrockarts.org/events/elemental-interactions-electricity) , and is sponsored by the Black Rock Arts Foundation. I'll be playing solo improv pieces and "Therioki" along to some of my favorite 1950's Cha Cha Cha music and Exotica favorites.

The focus of the event is on the creative and “green” aspects of electricity, with some guest speakers after the initial Theremin, food, and alcohol gestation period.

There’s a $10.00 suggested donation which includes a little wine and cheese at the beginning of the event.

Hope to see you there!

Robert Silverman
silver@glowfactory.org
www.glowfactory.org
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:34:14 AM
Thereminstrel

Hello Theriman, I hope your event goes well. A great way to introduce people to the theremin.

I'm really not one of those obsessive types who feel compelled to correct things, but I have to say your unintentional typo had me laughing out loud ... especially as another thread recently discussed the potential problems of mixing theremins and alchohol! :)

Gestation Period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestation_period)
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:54:50 AM
GordonC

"alc[i]h[/i]ohol"

???

Too much whishky before typing?

Fortunately, there are no wrong spellings in English!

(The OED does not define English, it merely describes common usage. If enough English speakers decide that they like alchohol, then alchohol it is. Not that I ever managed to convince my English teacher of this fact.)
Posted: 7/22/2009 9:15:56 AM
Thereminstrel

Ha-ha!! Well, I'm not surprised I managed a typo of my own ... I guess there was a sort of cosmic inevitability about it!!! Generally, I ignore people's typos/errors, but the mental image of a slightly tipsy theremin expecting some little theremins of its own (is that where Gakken Minis come from?) seemed too funny to ignore!

By-the-way ... how DO you do italics in posts?
Posted: 7/22/2009 12:05:34 PM
GordonC

Like [b][i][/b][i]this[/i][b][/i][/b].

Now, how did I do [i]that[/i]?
Posted: 7/22/2009 2:33:04 PM
Thereminstrel

[i]Thanks![/i]
Posted: 7/23/2009 1:55:32 AM
theriman1

To my Ether-buddies across the pond:

My spelling of "Alcohol" is perfectly fine by, gasp, American lexicologists (or would that be lexic[h]ologists???). For instance, this is what Dictionary.com has to say about "Alcohol:"

al⋅co⋅hol
  /ˈælkəˌhɔl, -ˌhɒl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [al-kuh-hawl, -hol] Show IPA
Use alcohol in a Sentence
–noun
1. Also called ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, ethanol, fermentation alcohol. a colorless, limpid, volatile, flammable, water-miscible liquid, C2H5OH, having an etherlike odor and pungent, burning taste, the intoxicating principle of fermented liquors, produced by yeast fermentation of certain carbohydrates, as grains, molasses, starch, or sugar, or obtained synthetically by hydration of ethylene or as a by-product of certain hydrocarbon syntheses: used chiefly as a solvent in the extraction of specific substances, in beverages, medicines, organic synthesis, lotions, tonics, colognes, rubbing compounds, as an automobile radiator antifreeze, and as a rocket fuel. Compare denatured alcohol, methyl alcohol.
2. whiskey, gin, vodka, or any other intoxicating liquor containing this liquid.
3. Chemistry. any of a class of chemical compounds having the general formula ROH, where R represents an alkyl group and –OH a hydroxyl group, as in methyl alcohol, CH3OH, or ethyl alcohol, C2H5OH.
Origin:
1535–45; < NL < ML < Ar al-kuḥl the powdered antimony, the distillate
Dictionary.com Unabridged

Thank goodness I have my Bourbon in hand...
Posted: 7/23/2009 4:01:44 AM
GordonC

Have a great show, and save the bourbon for after the performance!

:-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.