Avoiding Long URLs

Posted: 6/7/2008 9:48:43 AM
omhoge

Long URLs, or any long unbroken string, can break the layout of the site especially at lower screen resolutions.

You can avoid long URLs by using the "url=" tag method mentioned on the Formatting Options Page (http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=14)
Which is actually "=http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=14]"

Or use carriage returns so the long URLs "wrap", and suggest readers copy and paste then if needed.

We're working on an automated method to manage long strings, but it's not perfect yet. So a little care when posting helps a lot.

Thanks everyone and happy posting!
Posted: 6/8/2008 12:36:47 PM
GordonC

Or use tinyurl.com (tinyurl.com) or a similar service to shrink your URLs.

Oh, so many options.
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:43:27 AM
omhoge

And just a reminder, that not only URLs but any long sting without spaces,
like a long line of dashes or symbols.
will also cause display problems.

Sometimes these come in when your copying and pasting from a regular "Word" document or press release.

This is hard to manage in our code.
We still have only a manually run process to correct posts as best we can.

But if posters can avoid them it helps a lot and keeps ThereminWorld looking good for all the various browsers and personal computer resolution settings.

thanks a lot all, appreciate the help.
Posted: 7/26/2008 12:59:37 PM
kkissinger

Thanks, John for the tip.

Perhaps folks don't realize that the founder of Thereminworld, Jason Barille, found his workload increasing to the point where he needed a helping hand with this website. OMHOGE (John Hoge) stepped forward and has done a lot of work to keep this site up and running for us.

I understand from John that the site -- given its age -- is running on a good deal of legacy technology and John has worked hard to keep things up and running.

Many thanks to both Jason and John for providing Thereminworld. This site continues to be a premiere source of information and comradarie for the theremin community.

[i]--Kevin[/i]

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.