UK Thereminisation! (Brits - do you fancy a get-together?)

Posted: 6/28/2006 5:32:36 PM
marxc2001

Timing - I think we all agree here - the more notice, the better.

Activities - as well as the dealer demo's, workshops and performances, things like; panels - professionals amongst the crowd discuss technique/repertoire/performance/etc., also anyone up for a Masterclass? If we can get a seasoned pro, these can be VERY popular.

Venue/Publicity - Expanding on what JD said - music colleges, and musicians in general have a LOT of interest in things like this. So often they've heard of one, but never actually tried one.

Name - I like "Hands Off 2007" ;-)

Cost - £150-£200 is very reasonable, considering the prices of some conventions!

Promotion - if we set a few places on the web that we will post the majority of the information about hte meet to, then as long as those places are publicised left, right and centre, the web-presence will be taken care of. (As has been suggested; mySpace, thereminworld (if that's ok with the admins) and theremin.org.uk). On the press side, would media guides (the small supplement magazines that some newspapers, like the Independant, produce) be worth contacting to publicise the gigs/concerts that could take place?

There's my 'two cents' as it were - oh no, I made them disappear... ;-)

Have fun.

Mark.
Posted: 7/1/2006 7:40:05 PM
GordonC

Jason, I would like to break this into multiple threads. For some reason I feel the need to ask your permission.

[b]Timing[/b] - OK. 1 year to go...

[b]Activities[/b] - good that we have interest from recognised names.

On which subject, as Mark and JD already know, first contact with Bruce Woolley of the Radio Science Orchestra. :-)

I think the thing is just to accumulate as many options as possible at this time and see what we end up with.

I am on the hunt for The Northern Theremonic. A piano and theremin duo, performing a range of styles in the pubs and clubs of Leeds. Their website has not been updated for three years and they have no other detectable web activity. Apparently their "Bohemian Rhapsody" was something to behold. They are

Glyn, Welsh, thereminist,

[img]http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/northerntheremonic/images/4-picture1.jpg[/img]

and Jack, pianist.

[img]http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/northerntheremonic/images/5-picture1.jpg[/img]

More at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/northerntheremonic/index.jhtml

The address thereminorchestra.com expired a fortnight ago, and the address northerntheremonic@ntlworld.com is also dead.

They were aware of levnet, so Glyn may have been active on it. I have another avenue of exploration on the go, an email address probably dating back to the glut of free ISPs in the mid 90's, but the chances are my enquiry is languishing on a long-unused account.

So if anyone has an idea...

>Keynote speech by you, Gordon?

Sigh. If I must. I would prefer to open the event and introduce the keynote speaker, if that's OK. If we are short of events I would not mind presenting a research paper, with a digital projector if possible, otherwise a flip-chart, and my Kees. (I've done these before in a different context - Forth programming - after getting best paper the first year they scheduled me for first thing Sunday morning the next year, because "I would wake everybody up.")

>Also possible presence of manufacturers/retailers with stall of goodies (gig bags, pitch preview amps, stands, polish, etc.)

And artist's CDs.

[b]Venue[/b] - how about music (or music tech) colleges or university departments? They would also have performance space as well as potentially additional attendees.

Indeed. And possible accommodation during the summer? I'll leave that up to those with some experience of college administration, if that's OK.

I am hoping to speak with a lady who arranges alternative music events in London next Friday.

[b]Catering[/b] - sounds tasty.

It is also acceptable to vegetarians and does not conflict with any religious requirements I am aware of. It is not anglo-Indian food that you would find in a Tandoori or Balti-house, this is the real deal - Indian food for an Indian customer base. We all know samosas, but not everyone knows the difference between kachori and gulab jamun. I recommend both, incidentally.

The way it works is we piggy-back another customer's order, by saying, whatever you have cooking that day, we'll have the same. This is safe, it's all good food and customers choose their son's wedding menu carefully when they are expecting hundreds and often thousands of guests. That way we can negotiate a small order at large order prices.

We tell them how many guests, they provide more than sufficient food and a stack of compartmentalised plastic trays (thalis). (Or steel trays if you're dead posh!) We are charged per tray, not a fixed fee like English wedding caterers. They do not provide service. The food is served cafeteria style, traditionally by the family of the groom.

[b]Cost[/b] - 150-ish sounds reasonable and cheap enough to not scare anyone off. I wonder if we could get any other funding

150 is a target, then. Do we have someone willing to look into fu
Posted: 7/2/2006 4:55:46 AM
GordonC

Update - I have located Glyn Evans of the Northern Theremonic.

In 2003 the Northern Theremonic did the Grand Tour and went busking around Europe with Theremin and Accordion for two years. Glyn now lives in New Zealand. He wishes us good luck.

Posted: 7/2/2006 4:22:11 PM
Charlie D

I'm writing to Celia Sheen personally tomorrow. My grand-uncle is Denis Wick (of Denis Wick mouthpieces), and since he used to give trombone lessons to Celia's husband they are good family friends of his.

I am interested in trying to meet her, and shall be sure to mention Gordon's plan for a theremin convention in my letter. I too have heard however that she is not too keen on general public performances. Hopefully however the promise of performing to only a select group of theremin aficionados may be able to tempt her.

Either way I shall get in touch with her, but I don't want to pester her into doing anything she wouldn't wish to do.
Posted: 7/2/2006 5:09:19 PM
GordonC

Nor would I expect you to.

Thank you Charlie.
Posted: 7/2/2006 7:11:36 PM
GordonC

Does anyone her know anything about the Society for the Promotion of New Music http://www.spnm.org.uk/?

(They have a fun online theremin simulator called Clara here (http://www.spnm.org.uk/?page=playground). I have written to the author pointing out the deliberate error. :-)

Posted: 7/3/2006 12:12:39 AM
Jason

No worries about breaking this into multiple threads. It's fascinating watching this unfold!
Posted: 7/3/2006 5:21:48 AM
GordonC

Thank you Jason.

For those who are enjoying watching this unfold (and from the viewing figures I guess that is quite a few) - ideas and useful skills are not exclusive to UK residents: if you have something to contribute, please do not be backward in stepping forward!

Posted: 7/5/2006 4:16:16 AM
marxc2001

Charlie - Celia is a lovely person, and a great player (great violinist too). She was performing in a silent movie 'Der Golem' with Neil Brand (a professional 'Silent Movie' Pianist - who was exceptional). The performance (at the Cornerhouse, Manchester) was mesmerising! Best of luck!

I have to say, this is getting quite interesting, and is definitely something to put on the calendar.

Have fun,

Mark.
Posted: 7/5/2006 1:01:56 PM
Charlie D

She sounds a most incredible, interesting and charming lady. I really hope I manage to meet up with her!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.