Feature comparison grid

Posted: 12/22/2007 11:33:33 PM
TomFarrell

I've added a feature comparison grid to my theremin brands and models web page (http://theremin.tomfarrell.org/buyTheremin.html). It compares models which are [i]presently in production[/i], if at least occasionally. (For example, I'll list the Kees, even though he's not always taking orders, because he does make and sell them from time to time. I didn't list the Etherwave Pro, because they've stopped making it.)

I don't know everything about every model, and among those I'm familiar with, I'm not sure of every detail. If you are familiar with models other than the etherwave standard, please have a look at the grid and let me know if you can supply answers to any of the items I've marked with a question mark.

One question I particularly have is, does anybody know if the Wavefront instruments are actually being made and sold? I read from time to time on levnet that hey, one of them is actually available! And that leads me to think that most of the time, they're not?
Posted: 12/23/2007 1:33:56 AM
kkissinger

Great article, Tom!

Works such as "Vocalise" and the Bach-Gounod "Ave Maria" are not too hard to play on the Theremax. The volume response on the Theremax would be Good to Excellent -- it isn't as snappy as the Moog Theremins.

The pitch linearity of the Theremax is not as good as the Etherwaves however may be better than the B3 -- judging from the tiny motions Thomas Grillo uses to play the B3 -- the Tmax may have a little better note spacing.

Since Tmax's are homemade and often modded, the response may vary from one Tmax to another.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 12/25/2007 2:21:15 PM
teslatheremin

Tom,
I agree with Kevin, however, I only have a small experience playing the Etherwave as a comparison.

Godd Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 12/26/2007 2:18:08 PM
Thomas Grillo

I'm considering the travel case theremin from Wavefront. I'll just go and have a look at Tom's comparison chart now. Thanks.
Posted: 12/26/2007 2:25:55 PM
Thomas Grillo

Tom, I just got an e-mail from Wavefront. The travel case model is still available. But they add that the price will be going back up after the end of this year.
Posted: 12/26/2007 3:58:16 PM
Thomas Grillo

I just ordered a wavefront travel case theremin.
Posted: 1/16/2008 2:31:20 PM
fairplay

Hi,

to add to your article:

- the Wavefront MIDI-Wave-device

is a high quality, versatile add-on to - I'd say: any* - theremin; it is available from time to time on eBay (directly from Wavefront) and sells there usually for around 480 dollars (that is also how I got mine).

* ok, the theremin has to have an 'audio-out' to be connected to the MIDI-Wave.

The device (obviously) analyses the audio from the theremin and translates this to CVs. There are many settings available to fine tune thresholds etc. (you dont have to - with my EW Pro it worked right out of the box - but you CAN) - and, it shows the current note you are playing in realtime on its display (helps a LOT to tune the instrument for practise or performance!); depending on the settings it can also show the note before the sound of the theremin is heard...

- regarding a 'portable' theremin

there is a new theremin available named 'portable theremin', which is based on the PAiA Theremax; it sells for 249 dollars (plus shipping), which makes it a lot cheaper than the Wavefront-option; [I ordered one (serial nbr. 4 :o) which I will pick up on friday and then hopefully be able to tell you a little more about this one...so far: pre-sales support has been very good]
Posted: 1/16/2008 3:09:05 PM
fairplay

...sorry, I forgot a link for this other theremin (it was already discussed on this site and that is where I got the idea from):

http://www.myspace.com/portabletheremin (http://www.myspace.com/portabletheremin)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.