Any Halloween plans for your theremin?

Posted: 10/29/2008 9:06:14 PM
Jason

For folks in the US (do other countries celebrate Halloween?), do you have any interesting theremin plans for Spooky Friday this year? Any Halloween gigs we should know about?
Posted: 10/30/2008 1:02:07 PM
Thomas Grillo

I'll be doing a few house-calls with the theremin for Halloween. ;)
Posted: 11/1/2008 6:55:23 PM
Navrag

"For folks in the US (do other countries celebrate Halloween?), do you have any interesting theremin plans for Spooky Friday this year? Any Halloween gigs we should know about?"

Well seeing as it is an Irish festival that was brought to the US by Irish emigrants.. Yep.. We celebrate it here!
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:22:18 AM
Jason

That's what I love about Theremin World - it gives me a view to the world outside my window. nice to know, thanks!
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:34:28 AM
Thierry

In France and Germany there hasn't been such a tradition when I was a child. But thanks to the (commercial) globalization they started celebrating Halloween about 10 years ago.
Posted: 11/3/2008 7:30:20 AM
Navrag

When I was a kid we used to dress up and go from house to house. We didn't call it "trick or treating" but it was basically the same thing. November is "Samhain" pronounced "Sow-in". Halloween is the night before Samhain or "Oiche Shamhain" pronounced "Ee-heh How-in". It was the time that the spirit world came closest to the living world, and the spirits could cross over.. People carved lanterns out of turnips to frighten away evil spirits. On moving to America it was a lot easier to carve pumpkins.

There are specific things that the Irish do that are not found in the US. We make seasonal food, including "Colcannon" - mashed potato with curly Kale, and Barm Brack - a fruit cake that contains a ring, a pea, a stick, a rag, and a coin. The ring forecasts marriage, the stick ill health, the pea old age, the rag poverty and the coin riches.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.