Selling My Services to Educators

Posted: 7/12/2009 9:39:00 AM
Thomas Grillo

Talk about short notice, I've just recieved an invitation to take part in in a shindig where educators from around the state of Mississippi will be shopping for musicians and artists who are on the Artist Roster Grant list to come to their schools to give lectures, and master classes. I just happen to be on the roster.

I'll be toting a couple of theremins all the way to Oxford Mississippi this very afternoon to sell my services.

This takes place on the Ole Miss U campus at The Inn. The fun kicks off around 5pm. I have no idea if it's open to the general public, or just the 300 educators who will be browsing around through all the booths.

This program is part of the Whole Schools Initiative, and runs July 12th (today) to July 15.

I wish I'd been informed sooner so I could've posted this earlier. So sorry. I'll let y'all know how it went.

Posted: 7/12/2009 9:48:30 AM
Jeff S

Congratulations Thomas. And as they say....break a leg!
Posted: 7/13/2009 1:03:27 AM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks Jeff S,

I've just returned from the event. It was fantastic. I made a lot of great contacts with educators which could translate into paid gigs around the state.

I also made some connections with other artists who expressed a serious interest in adding my theremin playing to their groups.

And ofcourse, I ended up doing a lot of outreach, explaing the how of the theremin, ect.

There was even another educator artist who had a theremin with him, but he demos his connected to an o-scope to demo wave theory to students.

I also ran into a former thereminist who'd recently sold his big briar. I asked why, and he said he was too tall, and could not stand still enough. I suggested he use a stool, and he's reconsidering the theremin now. :)

I also saw the coolest instrument made by another artist. It's a steel drum like instrument made from, of all things, a spent LP gas cylender. Brilliant. I wanted to get one, but at the end of the session, they'd buggered off before I could find them. Took me longer than most to tear down my booth. Bummer.

But it was a great experience. I'm dead dog tired now, so I'm off to dream land. :)
Posted: 7/13/2009 4:50:03 AM
GordonC

Sounds like you had a great, productive time.

Was that a hapi drum?

http://www.hapitones.com/
Posted: 7/13/2009 6:46:01 AM
coalport

I think what Thomas saw may have been Denis Havlena's home made "hang drum". It is GREAT if you are interested in that sort of thing. I made one following the instructions below and it is amazing.

It is made from an empty propane tank and is called the "hank drum". If you attempt to make this instrument, make sure you use a brand new, never-been-used, empty tank. Propane is explosive and if there is any residue inside you could have a problem once you puncture the metal.

http://dennishavlena.com/for-webpage-lp-hang.htm
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:39:22 AM
Thomas Grillo

Gordon, I did indeed have a fun, and productive experience. Your link looks like a close cousin to what I saw.

Coalport, that's exactly what I saw. It sounds amazing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.