Are you making money playing the theremin?

Posted: 1/16/2009 9:49:36 AM
Jason

Given the state of the world economy these days, I started wondering how we could help thereminists through the tough times.

If you're making money playing the theremin (gigs, busking, demos, etc.), please post your tips to help others get started. Of course, many of us play the theremin out of pure love for the instrument, but if it can help earn a little extra income, all the better!
Posted: 1/16/2009 4:45:02 PM
Ernesto mendoza

I think the situation about making money playing theremin is more or less the same in all the world. Maybe there are places in wich the Theremin can found more chances to do business, specially in recordings or jingles .. even gigs.
To me, sometimes i do some money and sometimes i have to pay musicians or rent a venue.
When somebody do something with passion and love in first place, i think everything else, comes by itself. I think we must continue with the same enthusiasm, and keep doing what we have been doing until now.
I think Theremin players are like a family.. We have the chance to help us each other in many aspects of being Thereminist, musician or human..
If we continue with the work of showing the Theremin as a great and real instrument, i think chances become more for each one of us.

Ernesto.
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:26:46 PM
vonbuck

Use to. I had a band like Project Pimento called the Electric Logs. We played two or three times a month, including weddings and corporate functions, and made pretty good money. We would of still be working, but individually we make more with our other projects (we play to live, not live to play)

Which is the question. do you want to make your own music with the theremin, or do you want to make money. if you want to make money, you need to produce music people want to hear, all types of people and you need to make it accessable. I know they're plenty of inovators out there who will argue, but i ain't talking art.
oh teah, to answer one of the other questions posted, we did some blues, including a swinging version of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love.
I copied the Clapton solo.

Andy
Posted: 1/18/2009 11:59:00 AM
Thomas Grillo

I am in the process of applying for a grant which would cover half the cost of gigs.

I've started leaving a tip bucket near the stage when I perform at open mic night gigs, or busking.

In today's financial environment, it's probably time to consider charging a bit less for gigs than we used to.

Even doing a few more freebees than I'd like to do is not out of the question.
Posted: 4/12/2009 7:55:07 PM
DiggyDog

I have made a few bucks here and there by waving my hands in the air (like I just don't care!)

Barnyard was on hiatus for a while but we now have a monthly gig where we get free beer adn food to the tune of a hundred bucks or so for the four us us.

I am lucky, though. Most of my musical equipment has been paid for by gig money. THe main exceptions are my two most recent aqcuistions - the Minimoog and the TR-808 and TR-606.

I hope to get them out soon so they can earn their keep.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.