Theremin part for my post-rock song

Posted: 11/30/2010 3:47:40 AM
AnttiLoponen

Hello everyone

I'm doing a post-rock/metal album and one part screams for theremin. I already tried it with a VST plugin, but it just sounds too fake, I would like it to be the real thing.

The whole album is going to be streamable and downloadable for free so I think it's appropriate to ask for the part pro bono :). I'll make a small promo CD print and the contributing player will get one of those. Maybe it will be a rarity one day :)

If anyone is interested, I can send a demo of the song where the Theremin part would be in. It's nothing complicated, just long notes with slides inbetween and some vibrato.

I live in Tampere, Finland, so unless you live around here, you should also be able to record the part.

If you want to know what kind of a material it's about, check out the older songs here (http://consciousnessremovalproject.bandcamp.com).
Posted: 11/30/2010 8:38:54 AM
coalport

Great website Antti! The music is very powerful and nicely recorded.

I did an experiment last year using theremin and electric kantele but it was a very different kind of music from what you do. I don't think my experiment was very successful either - but it was FUN.

There are several thereminists here on Theremin World who would be excellent for participation in your project, and a couple of them are in Europe. If possible, you should try to work with your thereminist live, in the studio, rather than by mail.

There are also some thereminists in Finland, as I'm sure you already know.
Posted: 11/30/2010 3:27:26 PM
AnttiLoponen

Thanks for the comments!

Actually I'm not aware of Finnish thereminists. I only know that the band Tuvalu has a Theremin in their live setup but I'm not sure how musically they employ it.
Posted: 11/30/2010 7:41:10 PM
coalport

Antti,

I know of a few Finnish thereminists. I cannot give you their names or addresses without their permission, but if you like I can email a couple of them and see if they would like to speak to you about your project.

Most of them are in the Helsinki area, but that is only a couple of hours from Tampere.
Posted: 12/1/2010 2:37:02 AM
AnttiLoponen

Hey, that's really nice of you. You can also give them my e-mail, antti . loponen (a) gmail.com
Posted: 12/1/2010 7:16:01 AM
coalport

I have sent an email to a theremin player in Helsinki (his name is Kimmo) and given him your address. I also gave him the URL of your website.

If this does not work out, I know other Finnish thereminists.
Posted: 12/1/2010 9:24:58 AM
AnttiLoponen

Thanks for the effort. Kimmo was unfortunately totally occupied until the end of April, which is basically too late for me. So if you know any others, please do give them or me an email
Posted: 12/2/2010 6:43:38 AM
coalport

I have emailed another Finnish thereminist by the name of Jari. He lives in Vaasa. Would you ever have thought there was a thereminist in Vaasa?!

I sent him your email address. Hope it works out.
Posted: 12/2/2010 11:02:44 AM
AnttiLoponen

Vaasa, yes, that's actually a bit surprising :D. Thanks again!
Posted: 12/18/2010 3:27:48 PM
AnttiLoponen

So far, no email from anyone. Sorry to bother again, but got anyone else to suggest?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.