Pamelia Kurstin's bass sound

Posted: 10/2/2005 9:16:13 PM
drspecter

Wow! I downloaded the video of Pamelia's demonstration elsewhere on this site. Her plucking technique with the volume antena's an inspiration! I had pretty much given up on the idea of playing it rhythmically. Did she ever duet with Lydia Kavina? Seems like their styles could compliment each other quite well. And they're both really lovely women to look at ;)

I won a bid on a new E-Pro on e-bay for $950. Very looking forward to it and the DVD!
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:49:47 AM
Goater

To anyone who doesn't have an etherwave pro: You can totally play walking bass lines on the standard etherwave. Ive had my Pro about a year and I remember it taking quite a while to get my bass sound back after the switch. A good bass amp or keyboard amp helps out a lot with tone. I got a vox 60 watt bass amp and it is sweet.
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:54:38 AM
Oscar

I have played bass guitar for some years, so I am lucky enough to have a bass amp. A simple one, but no other amp I have tried sounds like this with the theremin.

With the plain standard I could "try" to play some basslines, but wih my Pro now I really can PLAY basslines. Is as quick and full-bodied as required for it.
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:36:40 PM
DiggyDog

I haven't tried to emulate the bass yet on my Etherwave (even though I also play bass) but I have gotten a rather good tuba sound out of it.

I run the etherwave through an old Art SGX 2000 effects processor with an auto wah type of effect (preset number 115). It makes the deep notes sound like "blatt, blatt, blatt" very much like a tuba.

Posted: 11/14/2005 11:51:19 PM
jeanclaude

I saw the video of this technique and was pretty thrilled, as i was looking for a way to play theremin rythmically in a rock band. Now i have it set where you can tap against your waist with your volume hand to provide the stop she was talking about and it works pretty well.
Posted: 11/15/2005 2:31:35 PM
Jason

Cool. I'd be curious to hear recordings of anyone playing the bass technique if you're willing to share...
Posted: 1/1/2007 10:08:58 AM
Alexander

I can answer this question. Pamelia uses one of these:

[img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002D0C58.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

Electroharmonix Bass Synthesizer pedal. It'll cost you more than an Etherwave Standard. I looked into getting one, but when I tried one out in a London guitar shop the salesman decided to lecture me on how the Theremin was an effect, not an instrument. He then played a horrible solo on a spikey black bass. Decided against it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.