Exercises for theremin

Posted: 3/22/2006 5:17:14 AM
xorima

Hello, I’m Víctor Estrada and I communicate to you that already is possible to download my new version of the book "Ejercicios progresivos para theremin", a greeting.

http://www.victorestrada.com/
Ejercicios%20theremin%201 (http://web.mac.com/estudioserin/iWeb/theremin/E73EA330-8FE9-4421-B49E-A0430CD496CA_files/Ejercicios%20theremin%201.pdf)
Posted: 3/22/2006 8:53:24 AM
J_D

Thanks for posting this, Victor, it looks like a very well laid out guide, with plenty of clear pictures and helpful excercises.

I know very little Spanish, so it will take me a while to read and translate at the same time, but it looks like it will be a worthwhile accompaniment to other theremin resources (DVDs etc.).

Do you plan on making MIDI or MP3 files of the accompaniments for the excercises available, too?

Good work!
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:10:04 AM
omhoge

Fantastic! Very good work on your manual. Thank you so much for sharing it. It's a beautiful result. It's nice to see the Takiuchi method listed in your appendix, it's one of my favorites. Also the Sexton book which has good advice in it. I'll count your work as a treasured addition to the unfortunately tiny list of theremin materials in print.

All the the principles an exercises transfer nicely to whatever style one plays in and it's wonderful to have some fresh ideas and exercises to enjoy.

Even though I only have a little Spanish I'm enjoying going through it.
Thank you so much!
Posted: 3/24/2006 7:53:24 AM
omhoge

As confessed I have weak Spanish but have been going through this beautifully produced new gem with much pleasure.

I really appreicate the detailed method of fingering notation developed here. It can serve several different styles. The musical exercises are rich and numerous and progress nicely. They cover the aerial finger positions and technique very thoroughly. Once complete a companion CD to play along with would be perfect. I cannot wait for the discussions on vibrato and more volume techniques, in volume two I expect.

The author address performance concerns and personal methodology right up front. This helps prevent the student from being an a vacuum divorced from real life and helps set the excitement and responsibilities of making music before delving into purely technical pursuits.

The examples of the styles of current major players is a smart way to start out the actual exercises so a new student has clear examples and pictures to try them all out and find what fits them.
Among the "Schools" illustrated, Russian, American, Canadian, it would be nice if two of the great early players could be included as well: Rockmore (the Lithuanian school since American is already taken?) and Hoffman (Hollywood school since American...?) these schools/techniques deserve examples since others derive from them. Although the Sexton school is not mentioned much generally, some beginners seem to start with the wing technique and it deserves discussion as well so an overall comparison can be made. But both Sexton and Takiuchi's books are listed in the appendex which is also very complete.

The illustrations are clear and support as well as expand the exercise scores which are fully fingered and provide an enjoyable challenge and are brief enough to fit into short focused practice which is usually the best approach.

The historical and technical introductions look sound, though someone more Spanish literate will have to say more. The section on tuning is great and addresses some pitfalls, like letting a cable touch the volume loop, which will save beginners confusion. In the case of the EWPro along with the very clear examples of pitch tuning for interval spacing, "full range" tuning setting zero beat at your "zero" position might be handy to discuss too as this is another way to lock down your range and with the EWPro and it's segmented octave selection is a good consideration.

How exciting it is to have a new book! Many thanks to the author and please keep the installments coming.

PS: I enjoy the lingual irony that the Spanish idiom for 'to play' is tocar.
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:06:54 PM
xorima

Midis de las lecciones:

Midis.zip (http://web.mac.com/estudioserin/iWeb/victorestrada/Theremin_files/Midis.zip)

Un saludo a tod@s!
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:01:40 PM
omhoge

Wonderful! Thank you Victor for sharing all this hard work.
¡Maravilloso! Gracias por todo este trabajo duro.
Posted: 4/30/2007 9:24:12 PM
kkissinger

[i]Note: moved the topic to this thread so as not to hijack Diggydog's thread[/i]

Thomas Grillo wrote:

[i]"Wow, I never got the chance to try a theremin befor I got one. I had to buy one. 10 months later, I'm still pushin' 7 to 8 hours a day practicing. (got nothin' beter to do.)"[/i]

Hey Thomas,

You've mentioned a few times about your long practice sessions.

How do you structure your practice sessions?

A related question is "where do you get the time?". Of course, this is a personal question and you have the prerogative to tell me to mind my own business! I suspect that others may have the same question so I figured I'd just blurt it out.

Inquiring minds wanna know. :)
Posted: 5/1/2007 10:57:15 AM
buddy_craigg

i'm guessing it's because it keeps the other patients calm in the dayroom
Posted: 5/2/2007 8:33:20 AM
DiggyDog

I can barely squeeze in a half hour or so here and there.

I just have too much to do and too many other interests.

I have a friend who wants to quite his day job and just practice during the day and play gigs at night with his band.

I have been there and done that and I have been advising him against it. While there is a lot of satisfaction from being able to say that you are a prfoessional musician and that's how you pay the bills, there are also some downsides to it. No 401(k), health benefits, pension, etc.
Posted: 5/2/2007 10:52:27 AM
omhoge

I can usually only practice when the day room is empty. Though my fellow patients seem to enjoy it, I get thrown off when they sing along.

When I was a kid and took lessons on an electronic organ at my instructor's house her dog would howl along with remarkably close pitch, really. But he was too much of a diva for us to ever perform duets.

Well.
Back to the topic at hand... I hope:

With exercises, I tend to go crazy trying to get what ever I can in print about the theremin and methods for it. And I honestly have gotten excellent benefits and pointers from all of them. But I find the ones I tend to return to naturally and regularly are those most like basic ear training; the Rockmore exercises, and the Takiuchi intervallic exercises usually.

Exploring and trying out as many as you can, I think, is a fun exercise no matter what level you're playing at.

Including a warm up exercise that I haven't mastered yet sandwiched between two that I can play more easily seems to work best, keeping a balance between encouraging and challenging myself.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.