Theremin Harness?

Posted: 9/13/2007 11:46:38 PM
Thomas Grillo

Tesla, no one said anything about "prancing, and dancing" with the theremin. Wer're talking about finding a way to be able to move around with a theremin so we don't allways have to just stand there looking like a statue when we play all the time.

I think they have these really strange instruments that crazy musicians strap to themselves, and make these crazy tunes with, and walk, run, jump, dance, and move around on stage with, um,,, what were they called?,,,Oh yes, guitars.

But, you know what? People once thought you'd break your neck if you went faster than 20 miles an hour too. It will take time for new ideas to be accepted with the theremin, just as things like aircraft going from props to jets, people walking on the moon, that sort of stuff which took a while to get used to as well.

Who'd ever have guessed we'd all be doing crazy things like having computers that fit in your pocket?

Relax tessla, we're not out to damage the theremin's reputation, just exploring new, and hopefully better ways to use it.
Posted: 9/14/2007 8:47:50 AM
DiggyDog

Does making music with a metal detector count?

I played mine at my gig a couple of nights ago...
Posted: 9/14/2007 8:48:16 PM
teslatheremin

carport888,
Perhaps you truely did not sense the sarcasm in my previous post.
My sarcasm was once of legend amongst my friends and peers; however, as I endure in marriage, I have had to subdue the "serene saw", as it were. I have had to lower my sarcastic powers to just below my spouse's ability to perceive them as such. How sad for you all, and me as well!

That being said: all Thereminists should be able to flit and prance and make music as they see and feel fit to be done!

That goes for you as well, T. Grillo!

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 9/14/2007 11:29:53 PM
Thomas Grillo

No worries, Tessla, I have the same problem at times.
Posted: 9/15/2007 3:01:55 AM
carport888

Ha, that's why I mentioned sarcasm. Every forum I've ever been in, there's always misinterpreted sarcasm. No worries. With typing, though, one only sees about %10 communication, and often not subtle sarcasm. I've learned to be very careful that when I'm sarcastic, it shows...unlike your COMPLETE LACK of tact in the matter! Have your wife smack you upside the head for me, you vagabond! :P

But what do you think...World Thereminization - Does the end justify the means?
Posted: 9/15/2007 3:20:27 AM
Thomas Grillo

I don't know about the ends justifying the means, but I finally got my E standard working again. Guess I'd better get started on that harness soon.
Posted: 9/15/2007 10:50:00 PM
teslatheremin

carport888
I guess that I was not plain enough about controlling my wife's hitting! Sarcasm: SMACK! Very quietly verbalized intelligent sarcasm: HMMM! So, it goes.
HEE! Yes, carport, I agree: Theremins for everyone! World Thereminization must commence by any means necessary! All must play!

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 9/18/2007 9:36:56 AM
omhoge

Please do post your harness design for this when complete.

I'm curious to see how it works out.
It could be a boon for players like that guy who lays on the floor sideways with his theremin.
And with careful cable management, a theremin marching band could finally become a reality.

Posted: 9/18/2007 9:49:27 AM
Thomas Grillo

I'm thinking, small battery powered amp on a belt or backpack, bluetooth, or short cable audio connection, battery powered theremin simalar to what's in a matryomin, or B3, to prevent unwanted interactions between theremins, yes, a marching theremin band might possibly be feasable one day.

By God! I'll do it!
Posted: 9/18/2007 10:25:50 AM
GordonC

A marching matryomin band would be feasible.

Alternatively I have seen videos of theremins built into hats and brassieres that could work, not to mention the Bonzo Dog Band's theremin leg.

Also I heard from a reliable source that Alison Goldfrapp wanted a theremin built into a strap-on. (Whatever one of those is. The reason she did not get one was that the proposed manufacturer was as innocent of such things as I purport to be.)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.