Theremin Harness?

Posted: 9/20/2007 3:51:35 PM
carport888

Tom, thank you for your feedback. I really do appreciate it! I'll be sure to watch my tone more carefully while typing. It wasn't my intent to belittle. I'm still a noob, so I absolutely don't know it all (in fact, I know very little about it all, indeed). I've only done a bit of research, mostly on Lev and the invention itself. I haven't really come across too much information about people's reactions to the instrument and what dreams were inspired which never came to fruition. I can definately see how it could be a slap in the face to hear the ignorant rant about what they think would be cool, while not realizing that these things have been a looming dark spot in the instrument's history for the past 70 years. And I certainly don't want to insult the extraordinary accomplishments of Bob Moog's genius. He was a genuine visionary. I am truly sorry for upsetting everyone that feels the same as Tom. I should probably do a lot more homework before joining into a community that I know little about. If you could recommend any resources, I'd be much obliged! :)
Posted: 9/20/2007 4:13:09 PM
carport888

...I guess these 'features' are more reasons why a Theremin marching band won't happen, since I think that they would be imparitive for the band to even remotely function. It doesn't look likely, though...
Posted: 9/20/2007 5:18:43 PM
Charlie D

George Pavlov told me that power had very little to do with interference. . . . apparently the Etherwave Standard is *waaay* more powerful than the Etherwave Pro, yet the former has a smaller EM field, and doesn't interfere half as badly. I think he told me that frequency has more to do with it.

Incidentally, why would you *want* to move whilst playing the theremin?
Posted: 9/20/2007 6:06:47 PM
carport888

I wouldn't want to. I just want a way to get the Theremin to sway WITH me during practice! I can't stand very still... :)
Posted: 9/20/2007 6:17:24 PM
Thomas Grillo

All you need to fix that, is a stool, or a half hight mic stand, and a chair. Just would be able to sway, or move about. ;)
Posted: 9/20/2007 6:53:21 PM
carport888

I currently use a stool. It helps, but I still have to stay almost perfectly still.
Posted: 9/20/2007 7:29:25 PM
GordonC

How still is perfectly still?

As still as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccByPzfqhY

Or as still as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLdHV9DZjM

I have yet to see a thereminist who keeps their torso completely motionless whilst playing.

Have you seen those natural history programmes where they show a bird on a flimsy twig, swaying about all over the place but keeping its head quite still by letting its neck damp the motion? Might I suggest watching your hand while you play and seeing that it is steady in relation to some distant fixed point, letting your elbow and shoulder joints compensate for any inadvertent swaying.

Or lean against something.

Posted: 9/20/2007 7:41:00 PM
carport888

I'm no Clara Rockmore, but thank you for the comparison. If I can't BE greatness, I'd settle with being compared to greatness. I'll just have to practice more. I was hoping for an easy way out. However, there seems to be no such thing. I'll just quit my gripin'. :)
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:45:24 PM
Charlie D

Gordon's right - standing motionless isn't going to suddenly, radically improve your playing. Making a conscious effort to minimize unnecessary arm movement will however.
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:27:39 PM
carport888

True. With further investigation, I see that Dorit Chrysler moves all around while she plays. :) This is encouraging!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.