Clara's technique - Drawing parallels with the violin

Posted: 10/5/2007 3:49:14 PM
Alan_in_CA

Brian--Thanks, that is very helpful; I would not have thought of the thumb moving back, although I had noticed the thumb and forefinger held into a circle, for stability as I supposed. As for the late Mr. Dean, I had forgotten that he passed away on September 30th--my birthday, as it happens, but fear not--there was no reincarnation involved; I was born 61 years ago. Just trying to figure things out without anyone to show me "Here, this is how it's done," within the limitations of my very limited musical education. Me, I'm overeducated in other things. Thanks again, all. I look forward to seeing and hearing my first theremin in a week or two (after I get it built):
http://www.abarbour.net/tmax.html
Posted: 10/5/2007 8:04:18 PM
Brian R

Alan, glad to be of help. And thanks for posting your photos... I do occasionally dream of building another theremin, mainly for the opportunity to put it in an unconventional enclosure.

RS Th, thanks for kind words. I haven't written nearly as much on this site as Kevin has, but now that you mention it, I might create a one-stop-shopping page on my own site (though not any time soon, as I'm currently under major deadline pressure... so much so that for several weeks now I haven't found time to practice... but maybe later this year).
Posted: 10/6/2007 1:29:44 AM
Alan_in_CA

Brian--Reflecting on what you said, another way to put it is that for the "9" position method, the pitch antenna field gradient has to be steeper than for the "4" method. All very sensible.

My pleasure to post my T-max construction progress; it's amazing how many mistakes (imperfections?) can be concealed by sanding and stainable wood filler! BTW, I was made to feel such an incompetent by my fifth-grade woodshop teacher that I hardly dared to drive a nail until I was well into graduate school--and my landlord, an old finish carpenter, got me past the psychological problem. My woodworking skills are probably about on a par with my musical skills; I often joke that my stuff is immediately recognizable due to the "exquisite old world craftsmanship," but I've built quite a bit of serviceable stuff. I mean to have the same attitude carry over to the theremin. After all, I probably have at least twenty years to learn how to play it, so what's the problem?

RS--My only previous experience with electronics construction before the t-max was some vacuum tube ham radio equipment about 45 years ago. The most memorable part of that was the shock I got when carrying the (improperly grounded) power supply across the shop. It had two of the biggest paper condensers I ever saw, in parallel, 44 microfarads total, and they discharged through my arms--which of course meant the current continued up and through my chest. I just stopped stock still, my mouth fell open, and I dropped the power supply (fortunately I had removed the rectifier tube already). Much the worst shock I ever had--the 900,000 volt one from the Tesla coil wasn't in the same league at all. So temper your envy of the tube theremin builders with consideration of the electrical hazards to which they expose themselves.
Posted: 10/6/2007 8:05:53 AM
Brian R

[i]Brian--Reflecting on what you said, another way to put it is that for the "9" position method, the pitch antenna field gradient has to be steeper than for the "4" method. All very sensible.[/i]

Exactly. And hence the trade-off: The steeper gradient allows larger melodic leaps without moving one's hand... but it also means that infinitesimal motions of the hand translate into more noticeable fluctuations of pitch.

Or, to nudge things back to our thread topic: the "4" method is like having a longer string to work with (say, a viola), and so less effort to play notes that are relatively close together (vs. on a violin, where the thickness of fingers becomes a non-trivial factor, and the player may need to move one finger out of the way to make room for another).
Posted: 10/6/2007 2:42:10 PM
Alan_in_CA

The stringed instrument analogy is certainly correct, but is altogether out of my range of experience. Except for once when I was a kid and tried to get some sounds out of a ukelele--my fingers were doing little more than getting in the way of one another! Certainly there are tradeoffs in whatever choice of instrument one makes--tone, dynamic ranges of pitch and volume, etc.
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:19:32 AM
Alan_in_CA

Victor Estrada's (free!) book of exercises for theremin (use thereminworld.com search function to find) gives just the sort of assistance I need. (With pictures.) It doesn't address Clara Rockmore's method, but discusses the methods of Kavina, Kurstin & Pringle. I ran across one word that puzzled me, so I went to my Spanish-English, then to my Spanish dictionary--no luck, but it meant I didn't have to be ashamed of not knowing. But Google led me to Wikipedia in Spanish, which had the entry. Man, I love the Internet!
Posted: 10/10/2007 12:11:50 PM
kkissinger

Just to clarify, the difference between the four-position and eight/nine position methods are more than just the note spacing. The Rockmore-like four-position is accomplished with knuckle extensions -- the fingertips are not pointed at the antenna nor is the wrist flexed to and from the antenna. Thus, the palm of the hand doesn't face the antenna. Indeed, the side of the hand faces the antenna.

When I first started to play, I couldn't get the knuckle extensions to work for me and I felt as though I had to extend my fingers. Those of use who utilize the knuckles must align the knuckles with antenna rather than pointing them upwards.

Probably the best example of this is to watch Pamelia Kurstin. In fact, the main change to my technique (since I recorded my videos) is that I tilt my knuckles towards the antenna. Before this change, I had to make a pretty large movement to move from first positions (closed) to a half-step open (between positions one and two).

Technique, for me, has been a constant process of refinement as I encounter (or compose) different passages.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:07:59 PM
Alan_in_CA

Thanks, Kevin--That *is* helpful, although it is rather obscure at the moment. I'm sure it will become clear when I review various videos. Think knuckles, eh?
Posted: 11/9/2007 4:12:35 AM
Thereminator

Kevin,

is there a little video available that shows the way YOU do the finger positions?
I hear the terms 'first-, second-, third- and fourth position', but I have no idea what they are.
Would you please, please show us?
Posted: 11/9/2007 7:10:45 AM
kkissinger

You can find some videos at my website:

http://kevinkissinger.com/videos.shtml

Enjoy!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.