Good ear make learning faster?

Posted: 12/3/2007 5:13:39 PM
timbo227

I've developed pretty good relative pitch, and was wondering how much this might help me in learning the theremin if i decide to get one. Obviously it would help with learning any instrument but I was thinking maybe this would be especailly true for the theremin since it's mono tone.
thanks
Posted: 12/3/2007 5:32:44 PM
kkissinger

By "mono tone" you probably mean that it is monophonic rather than polyphonic. And, when playing the theremin without accompianment, there is not a second pitch to which you can tune your note.

An ability to relate pitches to one another (relative pitch) is invaluable for playing the theremin because the theremin provides no reference point: no keyboard, frets, fingerholes, etc. The only way to identify a pitch on a theremin is to identify it by ear or with a visual pitch indicator.

Incidentally, Visual indicators are ok for practice but tend to be too slow and hard to read for anything but long, sustained notes for performance.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 12/3/2007 5:38:39 PM
timbo227

Thanks for the reply,
yeah that's exactly what I meant, I guess mono tone would mean only one pitch...
Thanks for your input, much appreciated,
Tim

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.