My throat hurts from playing the Theremin!

Posted: 5/19/2011 7:43:02 AM
Amethyste

Uuuuuugh...
Last night's 90 minute practice left me with a very tired and somewhat sore throat. I was wondering if I was starting to show signs of a cold, until I was somewhat goofing off away from the Theremin playing with my knuckles, mimic-ing some scales... Then I felt that my throat was tense, as I wanted to sing the tones without letting out a sound...

The theremin is taking possession on my vocal cords!!!

I've been assimilated, resistance is totally futile.
Posted: 5/19/2011 9:14:05 AM
Jeff S

"I've been assimilated, resistance is totally futile."

LOL....Yes, you are now part of the collective!

What you are experiencing is called "subvocalization" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization). The Wikipedia article discusses it only in the context of reading. I'm sure coalport will be along soon to explain the connection to theremin playing.
Posted: 5/19/2011 9:30:53 AM
Amethyste

I think the path my brain is going through is: Brain --> throat --> hands. Eventually, I believe the 3 will be in unison! I think learning this Theremin "thing" is creating pathways in my brain that I didn't have before, or if there were any, they are being cleared right now with a bulldozer force!

I think the fact that I sang all my life is pretty much an innate thing - that I do automatically when I play the Theremin. Now that this comes to mind, I think I did this too when I studied the cello and the harp...
Posted: 5/19/2011 3:32:45 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

From: Just a short walk away from Nike Missile Site S-13/14

I have never been much of a singer. Mainly because my sense of pitch was just barely good enough to recognize that I was off pitch, but I didn't have the skill (or willingness to put in the effort to develop it) to match pitch. If I was just a little worse I would have the ability to be one of those folks that happily belt out a tune at the top of their lungs while completly off key and not even remotely following the melody of the tune.

I am just good enough to know I suck.
but not bad enough to be unaware that I suck.

Anyway, lately I have noticed I have become a merely a poor singer and no longer truly suck completely! I can only blame the theremin for forcing me to develop my ear.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.