Awesome performance

Posted: 10/2/2008 5:17:35 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I am not sure if this is the right place for this posting..

I saw my first live Theremin performance last night - Lydia Kavina gave a performance in Oxford, and there must have been probably only 30 of us in the audience.. which is a shame - she deserved to be heard / seen by many more..

I have seen many performances (quite a few by Lydia) on U-tube .. but NOTHING prepared me for this performance.. The speed, accuracy, control, expression - everything - was incredible.

I think it was Joseph Shillinger's 'Mouvement Electrique and Patetique" (I might have got it wrong) which Lydia played to demonstrate how impossible it was to play on the Theremin... Well, stone me - it was the fastest thing I have ever seen musically - hands flying too quickly to follow - but everything sounding perfect..

Lydia.. U-tube videos do not do you justice .. Anyone who has never seen Lydia playing live, well - take the first chance you have to see her!

This concert completed what was for me an almost completely disasterousday - I had planned to attend Lydia's earlier workshop, but was nearly written off in a vehicle pile-up on the way to the event.. How I managed to avoid being mangled is beyond me - but I (and my vehicle) got away without a scratch... I missed the workshop, but managed to get to the show.. And am real glad I did.. after the near accident I nearly turned back.
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:54:30 PM
omhoge

Lydia's a stunning musician.
Did you get her latest album?
Posted: 10/3/2008 8:20:51 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Did you get her latest album?

Alas, no.. Somewhere in Oxford prior to the performance, while getting something to eat, I lost £50.. I think I was still in a state of shock after the near accident... Just managed to scrape the £10 to get into the concert!
Posted: 10/3/2008 1:57:54 PM
Thomas Grillo

Fred M, Sorry to hear about your close call on the road. Seems just getting to these workshops, and concerts can end up being a frightening odyssey indeed. I missed the first night, and half the 2nd day of Ethermusic 2k8 thanks to incompetence on the part of Delta (Dosent Even Leave The Airport) airlines, and very nearly didn't make my concert gig for Golgotha's premiere for the same.

Cue the scary theremin.

I'm glad you were not hutrt in that accident.

I do hope you at least got a chance to talk with Lydia. she's a great person to be around. Nothing like what we might think based on her vids.

We also had about 30 to 40 folks at Ethermusic, but we did pull in a lot of local patrons on concert nights.
Posted: 4/20/2019 3:15:40 PM
ILYA

https://youtu.be/C4ZT_HG_NjU

Posted: 4/22/2019 11:51:06 AM
v7peer

Does someone know what effect unit  is standing on the theremin??

Posted: 4/22/2019 9:24:57 PM
ILYA

Yes, the "Boy",
I asked Tatyana, and she confirmed.

Posted: 4/23/2019 4:38:09 AM
v7peer

Thank you!

Posted: 1/3/2024 5:48:06 PM
ILYA

Too little of theremin,
but beautiful composition "Dream Theme" by Alexey Rybnikov.

Young thereminist Vladimir Ivanov in 2024 New Year TV show:

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.