Play that funky theremin, white boy

Posted: 3/14/2009 9:31:07 AM
Brian R

Through another (non-theremin-related) site, I followed a link to watch one of Kutiman's remixes of YouTube videos:

The Mother of All Funk Chords (http://thru-you.com/#/videos/1/)

One of my first thoughts was, "Gosh, I hope that I grow up to be in a Kutiman remix someday."

Then the rational part of my brain kicked in: "Riiiiight... Theremin? In a funk remix?"

And then, starting around 2:40... not one, but two lucky (?) players elevated by piracy.

Posted: 3/14/2009 5:32:29 PM
GordonC

Thanks for posting that - I saw it come through on my synthtopia feed but didn't get round to watching it.

I like it! It's fun, and very well done.

[i]"Riiiiight... Theremin? In a funk remix?"[/i]

Hmm. You can do a just-about-OK disco space drum on a theremin (with the aid of a little echo to get the second beat to overlap the first) - I'm sure we all love [i]that[/i] old cliché. I found a crude emulator online - here (http://www.keyboardmuseum.com/d_machines/ehspaced.html). Click thrice on start freq, once on stop freq and twice on the pad. That's about as close as it gets to what I mean.

[i]And then, starting around 2:40... not one, but two lucky (?) players elevated by piracy.[/i]

Such a strong word. Sampling. Video-montage.

Mind you, as Picasso said - Bad artists copy. Great artists steal.
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:59:08 AM
Brian R

[i]Such a strong word. Sampling. Video-montage.[/i]

Really, no puritanical legalism intended. I think it's brilliant, and if this be piracy, then I'll be first in line for an eyepatch, matey.

[i]Mind you, as Picasso said - Bad artists copy. Great artists steal.[/i]

Funny... I always heard it as "Talent borrows, genius steals," attributed to Stravinsky... Both geniuses, of course, so who knows from whom or whence they filched it?

Posted: 3/15/2009 10:15:55 AM
Brian R

P.S. Although a conventional theremin sound might not lend itself to the funk idiom, adding an auto-wah to the signal chain can instantly make you a shining star, with a brand new bag, more bounce to the ounce, to tear the roof off the sucker in Funky Town.
Posted: 3/15/2009 4:01:07 PM
GordonC

And T.S. Eliot said "Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal." I'll wager they were all ripping off some ancient Greek dude.

Now if you will excuse me; I have to go and get down with my bad self, baby. Oh, yeah.
Posted: 4/5/2009 7:08:34 PM
Rah Rah Records

re: auto wah + theremin = giant chunk o funk, visit Miss Chocolate Cake on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/misschocolatecake) and give a listen to the track April 15th ( this ties into the AirFX thread too)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.