Roll call!

Posted: 7/14/2005 4:02:14 PM
user

Ed Brown here.

I have had many jobs: cooking surveying, gardening and tofu making. Right now I work in custom digital large-format printing. I also do a little freelance photography for the Winston-Salem Journal. I have a degree in Commercial Photography.

I bought my Etherwave kit shortly after I attended a lecture by Robert Moog at SECCA on theremins. He screened a copy of the Clara Rockmore video and had a Ethervox MIDI on stage and invited everyone to try it.

I'm a bit of a musical instrument collector (guitar, fiddle, mandolin, keyboard, blues harps), so of course I had to get one. I have an ear for music, but have great trouble with practicing, so I've never mastered anything.

I figured learning to play a theremin would be easy. ::twitch::
Posted: 7/15/2005 2:39:16 PM
vonbuck

Well, I'm Andy. BTW thanks for picking my SSB for the contest.I live in Ct. I got my first etherwave about a year before the first theremin fest. in Portland. I now own 2 etherwaves, an etherwave Pro, and a Wavefront classic, all left-handed.
I play out all over New England in my band The electric
l;ogs. These days we play mostly private functions. I also do duo work with either a guitar or piano doing everything from light classical to jazz standards to avat garde type off stuff, depending on the venue.
I'm just getting around to re setting up my studio, so I hope to start flooding the market with theremin music :-)
Posted: 7/16/2005 1:14:45 PM
mike j

Im Mike J. I am an automotive technician for the last 24 years,and a music enthuiast my whole life.I collect and attempt to play instruments as a hobby.I have over 12 guitars,1 bass,drum set,roland electronic drums,a marimba,a berimbau which i built,tons of hand percussion instruments,a mountain dulcimer,an african kora,and just got an etherwave theremin.Ive been facinated with the theremin when i saw jimmy page play one in the 70s. I hope to get good at it,its not an easy instrument and it will require lots of patience and practice!!!
Posted: 7/25/2005 12:57:46 AM
katherine

Hi everyone!

This is Katherine here from Auckland, New Zealand. I'm a university student, in fine arts. Apart from art stuff I'm a huge music fan :)

I heard about the theremin relatively recently, but I was instantly intrigued by it. It especially interested me because I'm interested in sound and audio-visual art. But I love the sound of the theremin, I think it's very beautiful. I need to go and order Clara Rockmore's CD at the music store.

I'm not really a musical person like all the people who have posted here, who play in bands and so on. I do have a musical background of sorts : I played classical flute for 8 years when I was younger, so I know some musical theory and I can still read music very well. I guess I could pick out a tune on the guitar or piano, and make some basic drumbeats. I would love to be able to make music, but visual arts seems more like my thing.

I don't own a theremin, and being a typical broke student I won't be buying one anytime soon, if ever! I really like the idea of building one but as I'm not skilled at electronic stuff, this is probably a bit out of my reach!
Posted: 7/25/2005 8:47:58 AM
Jason

Welcome Katherine. Many of us here don't actually play in bands either, but we all love the theremin and have a hunger to learn more about it. Thanks for joining, and we look forward to hearing from you again!
Posted: 7/25/2005 11:44:35 AM
Paul Kray

Hi everyone. I've been posting for several months now but have just now got around to signing this thread. I'm 33, I live in Rhode Island and only started playing Theremin a few months ago. I've played drums since I was 14 and I can play very minimal bar chords on guitar (Sabbath, Ramones, etc). I've played out quite a bit as a drummer and have some recording experience. I've been aware of the Theremin for probably about 10 years but didn't really look into obtaining one until recently. I finally settled on a Kees Theremin mainly because I wasn't ready to spend that much on a Moog without knowing how the experience would be or if I'd stick with it. I love my Theremin and hope to some day to try someone else's Moog to see how they compare. I'm having a hell of a time trying to play songs in the right key. But I invested in a Rotovibe, Vox Wah and Danelectro delay pedals and that has really increased my level of enjoyment and attention span and playing time. I intend to keep at it and eventually perform with a band or somewhere in public. My goal is for a public performance by the fall of 2006. We'll see...
Posted: 7/26/2005 4:48:52 PM
Naveed

Hi, I’m Scott; I am a classically trained chef and am in second year university studying primatology. I have been fascinated by the theremin for years, even before I knew what it was. I learned the name of the theremin when I was watching the commentary for the movie Ed Wood. I have been trying to find out more about this instrument ever since. I am currently trying to build the Coolidge Corner version (I’ll finish it if I ever get my loopsticks in the mail!) and if I get any good at playing, I would like to buy an etherwave or other comparable theremin. But until then, I’ll just play my home made one.

i don't know what else to say...
Posted: 7/27/2005 11:39:32 PM
Grasshopper

Hi,

I'm Clint and I live in Tennessee near the Smoky Mountains National Park.

I just joined. I built a Theremax a couple of weeks ago and I'm still modding it. I can't play much at all but it makes wonderful noise.

Thanks for this forum.

Grasshopper.
Posted: 7/27/2005 11:45:49 PM
Jason

Welcome Grasshopper! If you're in East TN, then you're close enough not to miss the theremin festival coming up in Asheville next week. Hope to see you there!
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:21:13 PM
loudestenemy

well i introduced myself in my own thread earlier. I just joined tonight so Im trying to plod around and see whats up.

Ive been playing music for almost 11 years, been singing since i was born.
I got started in my music back in 94 taking bass lessons. So i was primarily a bass player but i jsut started collecting instruments. Bass guitar vocals percussion keyboards trumpet sax, whatever i can get my hands on....the latest being the theremin.

SOme of the choise gear that i have to add to the theremin is my Fathers Fender Rhodes 73 suitcase, and the MicroMoog synth to go along with it. Im saving up for the MiniMoog Voyager after i return from the Philippines.
Im really more of a Moog enthusiast than a Theremin enthusiast but nontheless im here, the addiction setting in for the theremin is responsible for my presence here.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.