Roll call!

Posted: 9/11/2007 11:47:31 AM
carport888

While we're on the subject of tuners, I used one very briefly, but not by way of watching as I play. I would instead find a note that I thought was evenly centered and hold it as I then looked down at my tuner to see how far off center-note I was. It was quite the interesting experiment in seeing how centered my pitch ear was. I am pleased to say that I was very satisfied by what I found!
Posted: 9/11/2007 3:11:32 PM
GordonC

It occurs to me that you could use a tuner for "pitch review" - record yourself playing, then play back through the tuner and watch and listen.

If nothing else it has to be less galling to learn bad news about your intonation from a machine than from someone who is trying too hard not to hurt your feelings (or not caring one jot about them.)

Posted: 9/11/2007 3:44:25 PM
carport888

Wow, Gordon, that's brilliant! I'll have to put my recordings through the tuner now! Then again, any vibrato used, may make the tuner go haywire (mine is very sensitive). Still, a good idea to try out!
Posted: 9/11/2007 3:56:24 PM
DiggyDog

Hopefully the machine will be more accurate, too.
Posted: 9/26/2007 6:36:57 PM
Benjamin Scott

Greeting People of Theremin World, my name is Benjamin Scott, and i play to many instruments for my own good, and i'm adding another one to my collection, the theremin. I had my first try at the theremin three days prior to this post and it was fantastic, I am having teaching by Thomas Grillo and i'm on my way to get an Etherwave Standard. I have abnormally large hands (apparently) and can nearly stretch 2 octaves on a keyboard. My main instrument is the Church Organ but hope to expand. My main achievement is to gain a Doctorate in the Musical Arts. Anyway, that's me, Hello All
Posted: 9/26/2007 6:47:07 PM
Thomas Grillo

It's good to have you onboard Ben, TW is a great resource for learning, and connecting. Have fun, and welcome.
Posted: 10/3/2007 9:48:59 AM
JeepMac84

Hi! My name is Mike, and I'm from Rochester, NY. I just got my first Theremin a week ago, a Moog Etherwave Kit, and built it over the weekend. I've been playing (well, trying to) every chance I get since I completed it. So far, just able to do basic scales, but it's still alot of fun, and may even be safe to say that it is addicting! I really enjoy these forums, by the way, and hope to continue learning from them.
Posted: 10/3/2007 11:46:18 AM
Thomas Grillo

Welcome aboard. I can vouch for theremin adiction. Just ask anyone here how long I practice. Is 8 to 12 hours a day too much?
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:44:56 AM
Strohbie

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a theremin in the next few weeks. I'm a band director/percussionist, and looking for something new and different. Also, something that I can practice in my apartment without the neighbors yelling (see: percussionist)!
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:59:12 AM
buddy_craigg

[i]Also, something that I can practice in my apartment without the neighbors yelling[/i]

wrong choice

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.