my new theremin

Posted: 5/6/2006 11:49:03 AM
zakiman

hi

im getting my first theremin soon!!(008 from no1derland.com) I cant wait but dont have any exerance at all with a theremin. if you have any tips please tell me! i am also interested in how to record my theremin (and electric guitar) onto my PC. please tell me how you do this.
Posted: 5/6/2006 12:32:05 PM
kkissinger

Hi, and welcome!

For ideas on Theremin technique you can check the "technique" forums here. The opportunity to watch people play the Theremin would be extremely valuable, too.

You can't go wrong with Peter Pringle's DVD regardless of your chosen genre. On Ebay you can usually find the Clara Rockmore video and is very exciting to watch. Elsewhere on Theremin world, you can find links to videos of various Thereminists and you can see their techniques. The technique that you emulate depends on the music you wish to play. If you want to play notes and melodies in the traditional sense, then you will need to cultivate a precision Theremin-playing technique. If you are more into free-form, experimental, etc... then your need for precision techniques will not likely be as great.

As far as recording, there is a great piece of free software (you can download) called "Audacity" that will allow you to record from your computer's internal soundcard. (It may support USB devices, too... perhaps someone can jump in with some info). You will be able to achieve better quality with a converter... you plug your instrument cable into the converter and the converter plugs into your computer via USB or Firewire. Also, if you purchase a converter, it likely will come with some basic "Lite" recording software that may meet your needs.

Your computer's built-in inputs and outputs are OK for starters however you will want something better if you want to approach CD or broadcast quality recording.

May your Theremin playing bring you much fulfillment. Good luck!

-- Kevin K
Posted: 5/6/2006 4:04:16 PM
GordonC

Hi Zakiman,

I thought about getting a No1nderland theremin, but couldn't find any reviews or sound samples on the web, so I went for a Kees instead. I've noticed a couple of enquiries about the No1nderlands on thereminworld since then that met with silence. Once you have got the hang of playing it and recording to your PC perhaps you could share your thoughts on it, and perhaps even a sound clip to satisfy my curiosity?

(Kevin - Audacity on the mac works with USB.)

Gordon C
Posted: 5/7/2006 2:11:12 PM
zakiman

kevin- I downloaded the said softwaer and mucked about with some white noise. looks good!
what do you meen by coverter though? I was planing on using the mic on a headfone/mic set in front of my amp.

Gordon- I will get you a sound clip when possible. Where would i post it or send it thou?

Posted: 5/7/2006 3:36:01 PM
Jeff S

I have recorded to Audacity using my computer.

I use a mono 1/4" phone plug to jacks "splitter" sending one line to my amp and the other line directly to the sound card in the back of my computer using a 1/4" mono phone jack to 1/8" mono plug adapter.

I'm curious how adding another device or "converter" or going through a USB port will give you a higher quality sound than going direct to the sound card?
Posted: 5/7/2006 4:57:23 PM
GordonC

Zakiman - hmm. Er, lets think. Well there's places like myspace.com and soundclick.com let you upload music mp3's for free. Tag them as experimental and no-one will know they're just sound samples.

Or Jason (ThereminWorld's most wonderful webmaster ) has been known to host the occasional file. Ooh. That gives me an idea for the website. I'll just nip off and post it in the suggestion box. I'll post a link in a minute.

Posted: 5/7/2006 6:09:21 PM
Jeff S

Yes Gordon, sometimes I do suffer from tunnel vision, and I ASSUME everyone's computer is the same and has the same features as mine. Not that my computer is cutting edge by any means, but there are many people who's computers are more "basic".
Posted: 5/8/2006 2:12:15 PM
zakiman

I guess it would be better for me if i record my theremin (hopefuly ariving this week!) Into my computer as my amp is a tiny b.b blaster desighed for guitar practice(it says 15w 50Hz on the back)

jeff-My dad knows a lot about computers and sound cards so i'll ask him about them.

gordon- the sound clip area sounds like a rockin idea!

Dr. Zak
Posted: 5/8/2006 4:15:48 PM
GordonC

Thanks.

Tips...

I'm fairly new to theremining myself, but I'm happy to pass on a few tips I've picked up.

1. Listen while you play. Really listen. Really, really listen. Really, really, really listen. Imagine there's one of those inscrutable old Zen masters who whacks you upside the head with a big stick every time your focus wanders, and [i]listen[/i].

2. Relax. Don't beat your brains out [i]trying[/i] to play. Just play.

3. Keep it controlled and precise. Spazzing out in front of a theremin is a ton of fun, but what really impresses is the delicate touch. (And that applies to [i]every[/i] sort of music. Even if you're aiming for "kittens in a centrifuge.")

4. Have fun. Experiment. Try stuff. Read the forums and try what people suggest, then decide if what works for them works for you too.

5. Stick your flag on the members map (http://www.thereminworld.com/map.asp). What do you know - maybe there is another player in walking distance. That would be so neat.

Posted: 5/9/2006 12:08:40 PM
zakiman

I tryied to add my self on the mapp but it thought i ment bristol in america not bristol in england!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.