Is the Kees theremin a good buy?

Posted: 5/30/2006 7:15:53 AM
martincactus

Hi,

I have been interested in the history of the theremin for a while, and now I have decided to buy one. I want to buy a Kees theremin. I read a lot of good things about it on this board. I don't want to spend to much money on it, so I cannot buy a Moog. Is the Kees a good instrument to really play music on it? Are they quality intruments?

Thank you!
Posted: 5/30/2006 2:03:55 PM
sinno

take it from me dude, the Kees is a GREAT buy. I have a Moog Etherwave Pro too and i love them both but the Kees for the price and looks is my fave.
great aftersale service too. ive asked him so many stupid questions and he always replies without making me feel stupid too.

http://www.myspace.com/kevinsinnott

Posted: 5/30/2006 2:44:51 PM
Wavelength UK

Yes - agree with the above. I have emailed Kees about four times now with various queries relating to how to run it off the mains, amplification etc. Everytime he has replied in a very helpful manner. I have little doubt that if a problem arose with my theremin Kees would be just as helpful.

Ian
Posted: 5/30/2006 3:11:45 PM
GordonC

Me three!

If you've heard Kevin's stuff on Spellbound (and incidentally, K, aren't you getting to be quite the regular contributor! :-) there's a fair chance you were listening to his Kees.

And btw, look - one, two, three Brits like Kees.

Gordon
Posted: 5/30/2006 4:59:35 PM
AndanteCantabile

I've a Kees too... it's really a good buy!
Posted: 5/31/2006 4:43:45 AM
Oscar

A Kees is the first Theremin I had, andI agree with everyone above. Looks great and it is a good buy. And Mr. Enkelaar is a very gentle man giving me lots of advices and how to make it work. He has done more for the democratization of the Theremin than lots of the theremin builders/sellers out there.

I sold my Kees to buy an Etherwave Standard. It was a good change, but for the price of an Etherwave you could buy 2 Kees. Of course, the overpriced Etherwave is better, but it lacks its LED and gain control.

If you are not able to spend the money an Etherwave costs don't hesitate for a single minute: go get a Kees. If you have any problem with it, people here and the same guy will help you. It is a good option for a smart beginner who doesn't want to waste money in something he still does not know if he could play well one day.
Posted: 5/31/2006 7:28:18 AM
martincactus

Thanks everybody. I am just waiting for the Kees theremin page to open the ordering page on his website and I think I will go for it!
Posted: 5/31/2006 6:11:16 PM
Thereminless

Sinno wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/kevinsinnott

Nice recordings on the site. Which recordings use the EP and which use the Kees?

Thanks,

Thereminless

Posted: 6/1/2006 4:12:59 PM
sinno

hey Gordon hows it goin ? :0)
thanks Thereminless, ive got another myspace page www.myspace.com/thereminsoftheworlduniteandtakeover and thats got more tunes on, all the tunes up apart from "a burst of colour" have a mix of both theremins, that batch leaning towards the pro. Theres a link to one "the funeral march" on the front page of thereminworld in the audio samples. thats all kees enkelaar theremin.
both are great theremins, both sound totally different to my ear. the Etherwave is easier to play, apart from the fact playing theremin is rock hard :0(
How do you hyperlink arrrgh haha !!!!
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:47:57 PM
GordonC

Not too badly, thanks.

How to hyperlink (http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=14).

:-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.