Is this normal?

Posted: 2/5/2007 10:54:31 AM
Octoplasty

I seem to have to keep re-tuning my theremin while I'm playing it. Like, if I tune it before I start playing then stand still next to it for a couple of minutes, the pitch gradually increases which must mean the field around it is mysteriously getting bigger by itself (mustn't it). So does this ever happen to anyone else?
Posted: 2/5/2007 11:07:38 AM
Charlie D

More information would be useful. What theremin are you using? Have you tried waiting five minutes or so for it to warm up and stabilize before playing?
Posted: 2/5/2007 11:08:30 AM
Alexander

No, it's not normal, you're mentally ill.

...or there's something wrong with your Theremin, whatever. Option 1 is carte blanche for a lot of good times, but it sounds like there's a problem with that there 'remmin. What type is it, how old is it? Have you tried this in different environments to make sure there isn't something going on in the room to affect it?
Posted: 2/5/2007 11:34:41 AM
DiggyDog

My Etherwave does this sometimes if I have left it in the care for a while.

I think it is just a funtion of warming up (or maybe even colling down) and getting used ot the environment.

Does it stop after a while or does it continue to drift.

(I must say, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going ot be about turning the lights on and off repeatedly before entering or exiting a room, in which case I was going to tell you it's perfectly normal, just like excesive hand washing and fantasizing about nuns and penguins.)
Posted: 2/5/2007 12:21:36 PM
Octoplasty

It's a standard moog etherwave theremin and I've had it for about 5 months. Reassuringly it DOES stabilise after about 5 minutes or so. Yesssssss.... the penguin/nun thing is also reassuring.
Posted: 2/5/2007 1:30:51 PM
buddy_craigg

i have to readjust my E standard twice in 15 minutes and then it's pretty much set.
Posted: 2/8/2007 9:34:08 AM
Thomas Grillo

I also have a an Etherwave standard, and it too must warm up for at least 15 minutes. This is a great period in which to grab a nice cup of something good while you wait.

I've learned it makes the learning process much more user friendly to go do domething else while I wait for the theremin to warm up.
Posted: 2/9/2007 12:27:39 AM
Jeff S

By their very nature, it is unreasonable to expect ANY theremin to be stable as soon as you turn it on.

It is always best to allow them at least five to ten minutes to warm up and settle down. More time would be even better. For such a short time, you can warm up the amp as well. For a public performance, I would go any less than fifteen minutes, but I'm not not basing that on any solid scientific evidence. It's just better to err on the side of caution.

Theremins use very little electricity, so it's really not an issue to give it the time it needs to warm up. In the mean time you can take care of some little chore, eat dinner, read the postings on Theremin World, etc....
Posted: 2/9/2007 7:49:54 AM
Octoplasty

well thankyou all for your help and advice
Posted: 2/9/2007 10:09:32 AM
vonbuck

In closing, nothing about this instrument is normal.

Andy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.