Kees Enkelaar or B3? ..or Etherwave?

Posted: 8/7/2007 11:23:10 AM
sutekiii

Hi,

I want to buy (my first) theremin, but can't really decide which one. I've browsed the forum and i think the Enkelaar model (around $200), is a better choice then the B3 (about $150).

I actually rather buy an Etherwave (around $400-500) right away, but don't want to spend that much money on it immediately. I never played one, and although i think the theremin is one of the most awesome instruments around, i may suck at playing it :P So then the $500 would be a waste.

So, Kees Enkelaar or B3? or the Etherwave anyway?
Posted: 8/7/2007 4:56:00 PM
GordonC

My first was an Enkelaar. It's a nice instrument with a soft, forgiving tone. You might have to wait a while - he only opens the shop for business when he is not completing orders.

(It doesn't come with a mike stand - it comes with a fitting for a mike stand.)
Posted: 8/7/2007 9:23:35 PM
hypergolic

Either the Kees or the Etherwave is a good choice. A PAIA kit is also workable. I wouldn't get anything else as the quality of the sound and playability will be uncertain. With those two instruments, you will get great quality.

Philip
Posted: 8/8/2007 11:17:08 AM
sutekiii

Hm, i think i'll go for the Enkelaar, but if that'll take too long, i'll go for the Etherwave.

I rather have an Enkelaar, which is quite good for the price (from what i've read/heard), but i want one ASAP. I don't mind waiting a little time, but if it's going to take more then a month, i'll just go for the Etherwave :)
Posted: 8/8/2007 10:57:44 PM
Jeff S

"All good things....to those who wait."

Kees Enkelaar, "the guy" as you called him, is not a business with many employees. He is a single individual. Like most of us he no doubt has a regular day job. Plus, I'm sure he also has other interests.

There just isn't enough demand for any indidvidual to make a living at producing theremins all day....especially at that price.
Posted: 8/9/2007 6:41:20 AM
Edweird

I have a Kees and I think it was worth every second of the wait. Not only does it play well, it's tone is very adjustable, it's built well, and looks gorgeous. For the money you can't get anything better.

Posted: 8/9/2007 8:20:03 AM
sinno

what you hjave to remember about a Kees theremin, is its built to order, it looks gorgeous (i have an etherwave pro and it looks well better than that for me) and aftersales is excellent. Kees can sort any problems over email with diagrams, pics etc..
the b3 could be good too tho, so in the end its personal opinion. its a shame tho most of us dont have the opportunity to try different theremins.
I love my Kees theremin tho, its amazing, got a great sound.
Posted: 8/11/2007 6:38:56 AM
sutekiii

I mailed Enkelaar a few days ago, but still no repsonce. I'll think i just go for the Etherwave standard. I can order one through the local music store here, so i don't have to wait like 1+ month for it.
Posted: 8/11/2007 2:05:15 PM
GordonC

Hi sutekiii, welcome to Theremin World.

If you're thinking of buying an etherwave, it is worth noting that Wilco Botermans is a registered moog dealer, and will be able to give you much better support for theremin related questions than your local music shop.

http://theremin.nl/

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.