Which theremin is best for me?

Posted: 9/1/2007 11:14:03 AM
kkissinger

My mantra is similar to Jeff's:

"Buy the best and cry only once."
Posted: 9/1/2007 7:59:19 PM
GordonC

I favoured a more cautious approach, buying a Kees first, as I was uncertain if my interest in the theremin was a passing fancy. As it turns out, it was not. So now I am the possessor of an etherwave theremin, and a spare Kees, which isn't a bad thing at all. At my first gig I experienced technical problems with my instrument, but fortunately there was a second thereminist present, who leant me his. I doubt I would be so fortunate the next time.

As for the price, for someone who is used to the idea of taking out a bank loan to buy a travel case for their double bass, even a high end theremin is an absolute bargain. And I'm sure that the Yamaha YFL-874W (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/winds/product/archive/wooden/main.htm) is a wonderful flute, and will not make me a better player but will make it easier for me to play well, but when I tried to explain that to the folks at fluteworld.com (not the real one - a different, more allegorical fluteworld.com) that it would be wasted on me they got all snooty and directed me to wal-mart. I ask you - is it my fault I've been appointed court jester and it is actually part of my job description to "prance about in a foolish manner and tootle your flute"?

I think my point is that it is reasonable to alert a person to the limitations of a budget instrument, but not to presume on the requirements of the particular player.
Posted: 9/1/2007 8:04:59 PM
Alan_in_CA

I am going to build a Theremax, principally because having done so I will be far more psycholgically invested in it than if I bought one, and therefore more likely to continue. I will also be prepared to tinker with it.
Posted: 9/1/2007 8:24:28 PM
GordonC

By all accounts the theremax is the best kit theremin, and currently the only commercial theremin available with CV out, which offers some interesting possibilities for treating the sound and behaviour of the instrument, if that is the way you want to go.

From what I have read on these forums, it is very worthwhile making the modifications documented on thereminworld.com, and having a good read of appropriate threads in the forums will alert you to potential difficulties during construction.

As for its playability, I will leave that assessment to someone who is familiar with the instrument.
Posted: 9/1/2007 8:28:38 PM
Alan_in_CA

In fact, I have one modification project in mind already, the results of which I will share here when I have them. I am going to build a fairly large coil with multiple (and selectable) taps and wire it in before the pitch antenna. I will also make two sizes of pitch antenna. Then, with an oscilloscope hooked up to the theremin output, I will plot the frequency output vs. distance from the antenna for the various coil selections to discover how the coil size alters pitch, linearity and range. The settings that are appropriate for me will be a bit abnormal, since I have significant high-frequency hearing loss; no sense having output I can't hear.
Posted: 9/2/2007 1:26:08 AM
kkissinger

Alinon,

Fantastic! Hope you will share your results here.

I really like my Theremax. Despite its huge range the set of notes that fall within the linear (and most playable) range are limited to about 2 1/2 octaves.

Also, I replaced the stock theremax rod with a chrome plated steel rod which improved the playability greatly.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 9/2/2007 2:21:41 AM
Alan_in_CA

Kevin--Definitely I will post the results. I figure to make a volume antenna to the RCA measurements, plus 18- and 24-inch pitch antennae, using some sort of 3/8-inch rod from the hobby shop or hardware store; aluminum probably, copper possibly. First I have to get the hardware I plan to use to secure the antennae and check the size of the ferrules aginst the rods. I also have to find some wood I like for the box; hope to find something good looking half an inch thick at the specialty lumber store. Failing that I might laminate some quarter-inch red oak.
Posted: 9/2/2007 11:19:09 AM
Alan_in_CA

Kevin, and others who are currently theremin-enabled, please check something for me if you can. When experimenting with my future theremin to determine the effects of various pitch antenna coils, I will need some way to actually measure the distance of my hand from the antenna. I assume that a cheap softwood yardstick probably wouldn't have a strong effect on the field, so I could fix one in place, null the instrument, and then move my hand along the yardstick. Would someone be so good as to check for me if said type of yardstick has a strong or weak effect on the pitch field?
Posted: 9/6/2007 12:31:39 AM
kkissinger

I found a few wooden objects and in all cases they upset the pitch of the theremin. One of the issues with wood is that it holds some moisture. Also, some finishes are conductive which adds more variables.

As far as wood, perhaps a dowel -- unfinished and as small a diameter as possible may work. I found that narrow pieces had the least effect on the pitch.

Posted: 9/6/2007 3:22:03 AM
Alan_in_CA

Thanks, Kevin; that all makes sense. A thin dowel would be stiff enough to do the job. By the by, today I got the hardware I wanted to mount the antennae (Swagelok 3/8" bulkhead unions), and although I only needed three, they came in a pack of four. Since there are nuts and ferrules on both ends of each one, that gives me enough for two volume antannae and four pitch antennae. That means I could make aluminum antennae (volume and two lengths of pitch) and brass or copper as well. Has anyone out there compared aluminum with brass or copper, and if so is there any significant difference?

TIA

Alan in CA

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.