Roll Call! - 2008

Posted: 1/22/2008 9:14:20 AM
Jason

Hey folks!

With the New Year, we're starting a brand new thread for introductions in 2008. Whether you're a current member and haven't said hi yet or you're a new member, we'd love to hear from you. Tell us a little about yourself, why you like the theremin, how the theremin discovered you, what you plan to do with your theremin, etc. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!
Posted: 1/22/2008 7:01:06 PM
livingjane

I've been working in various facets of the entertainment business for most of my life...
I recently played a Theremin for only a few minutes, and that's all it took for me to get hooked. I just bought a Moog Standard, and love it. I am putting together some kind of project involving Theremin/Singing/Poetry/Music/Multi-media & Vampires...
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:23:08 AM
DaCogs

Hi I'm Bill. New Jan/08. Well, I'm not new, but new to Theremin World.

I have an RCA Theremin from the 20's/30's that my grandfather passed down to me. It's great fun to try but hard to master. Haven't given it much effort lately. Been considering selling. May keep it for show-n-tell, a conversation piece and try a hand or two once in a while.

Such a fantastic instrument! I stand in AWE of anyone who can make it sing!
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:24:12 AM
omhoge

livingjane, so glad to hear you finally got an instrument, congrats!

Welcome DaCogs, what a treasure to have passed down from your family and it's good fortune it came to someone who'll keep turning it on and play it, instruments waste away when they're just left in silence.
Did you ever hear your grandfather play it, did you know of the theremin all your life?
Posted: 1/24/2008 10:17:04 PM
DaCogs

Grandfather played 'around' with it, like me, however never played music with it. To him it was more of a unique thing to show off to his guests. He had a friend who would come visit and play real stuff. I never got to hear that.

He lived in LA and I was in Oregon so we rarely got to visit. I remember seeing and hearing it once but didn't mean much to me as a 9 year old.

Hey, thanks for the shout! Glad to be here. I've learned quite a bit in just a few brief visits.

Bill
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:35:05 PM
ebertschy

I built a Theremax back in 1996. I registered with Theremin World back then, but drifted away from Theremin World.
Now I'm back. This site is still the #1 source of good Theremin info, and I'll be sharing 12 years of audio and construction experience.
God bless y'all.
Ed
Posted: 1/26/2008 1:28:14 AM
RichieC

Hello, I'm Richie. I joined theremin world in early January, though I've been here on the site since I really got into the theremin. That was about a year ago now when I first began to really start figuring out what in the world the theremin is thanks to friends and band teachers.
Anyways, about September of 2007, I had saved up enough money to order some of the parts for a Paia theremin, and then promptly finished ordering the rest of it two months later... Just today, I finished assembaling the kit, and building my own case, and to my dismay, it does not work. at all. hehe, even still, i guess theres plenty of time left to fix it. I've been patient about it, though I've really wanted to play one for ages.

Right now, I am Studying piano for the eighth year, learning guitar, I am in a handbell chior, and a jazz ensemble. I'm far too busy to start learning the theremin, but I just couldn't help it.
Posted: 1/27/2008 7:25:27 PM
teslatheremin

Welcome All!

Specifically, RichieC, there are many forums made by experienced T-Max owners that are willing to help you make your Theremin sing.
Goog Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 2/1/2008 12:56:27 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hello folks -
Joined within last few months - I have been involved with electronic music for >35 years (started making my first synth at 14, which steered my future and thus I became an electronics engineer - All because I heard a Mini Moog!!) Have worked for Jeremy Lord Synthesisers (long defunct - anyone know where Jeremy is these days? I would love to contact him!)
Recently renewed interest in theremins because of working with Cypress Semiconductor Corp (I am a Cypress Consultant, or CYPros as we are called ;-) and their CAPSENSE(R) technology looked well suited to an advanced theremin application.. I was not able to get the required resolution from standard CapSense implementation, but came up with ideas in the process of playing with this (I have filed patents on some of these ideas) and have implemented a directional capacitive sensor with programmable capacitance/output law, which is ANALOGUE - I am in the final stages of design of my TherAsynth, which implements a full-blown analogue synthesiser (no envelope generators - as contours are controlled by hand movement - but dual VCO and dual diode 24db VCF, and lots more - a sort of Mini-Moog minus envelopes)and is self calibrating (learns capacitance of player and surroundings, and compensates these dynamically, allowing a linear relationship (or any other chosen) of pitch to position, and allowing this to span however many octave one wishes.
I will keep Theremin World up-to-date on my progress (for one thing - I am spending all my money on this development, so will need to sell units / kits to survive.. Hope people here will be interested - I also will need to lend some units to expierienced Thereminists to get feedback)
Apart from that, I am a happy ecentric with 5 children (3 under 5's) and too busy right now to be making music with my antiques.. I hope to go into production this year, and also get some time to meet people and make music.
Posted: 2/1/2008 2:15:08 AM
TomFarrell

FredM, please contact me at my web site (http://www.tomfarrell.org/contact) to make sure to get listed on my theremin manufacturers list and comparison chart when you are ready to offer your theremins for sale.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.