Roll Call! - 2008

Posted: 2/1/2008 4:03:52 AM
GordonC

Hi Fred, welcome to Theremin World.

Yippee! Yet another Brit making theremins. Sounds fascinating too. My hands are already itching to try one out.

:-)
Posted: 2/1/2008 9:28:13 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Gordon + Tom,
Had a look at both of your great sites, and will keep you both informed of progress with TherAsynth.
Gordon - I would certainly be happy to let you play with the first prototype (I hope to have this to a reasonable level in the next 2 months)but I would need to keep it in my sight! ;-) .. Perhaps we could get together and have a jam..

I broke a big 'rule' of silence I imposed on myself by disclosing this project.. I have been working on this for many months, and had intended to keep it tightly under wraps until I was ready to go into production (or at least had something to demonstrate)

This will NOT be a low cost Theremin - I have not done costings (even without my time, it is frightening!) and (unless I find an investor willing to get a large quantity built in, perhaps China) I expect the first batch to come in at about £1000 each.

I am not 'into' cheap products - If something is worth doing, it is only worth doing well - My career has been mainly in designing safety-critical and medical equipment, with 6 years in audio a long time ago. My major influences in synthesiser design were Jeremy Lord and Bob Moog - Almost every circuit in TherAsynth is original, the sensors, VCO's,VCF's and VCA have never been seen or heard before - And I hope (intend) to produce the most controllable,best sounding and most reliable Theremin related instrument the world has ever seen.
Posted: 2/5/2008 7:46:10 AM
dr lobotomy

Hello out there...

I'm Paul based in Yorkshire, England. I signed up in mid-January, though I've been experimenting with the theremin for about a year or so. This site was invaluable for picking up tips and information, thanks to everyone who made their expertise available!

My first theremin was one of those cheapo kits from Australia, which turned out to be far too difficult for me to put together so I ended up sending it to my father in law in Siberia, Russia who's built several theremins over the years. He returned it in working order and I haven't stopped since.

I was thrown in at the deep end, playing it live with The Electric Brains (60s style psychedelic garage punk)... and loved it, and not just the freak-out instrumental bits, but even trying to play in tune too...

I add the odd bit of theremin to my own silly songs, along with other exotic instruments like the stylophone 350s or the casio vl1... hear some at www.myspace.com/paulweatherhead

I also play electric mandolin with cult folk punkers "The Ukrainians" and even managed to get a bit of theremin on our forthcoming new album, a cover of a T. Rex song in Ukrainian no less.

Anyway, a happy pancake day to everyone, and I hope if I continue to practise I'll keep getting batter...
Posted: 2/7/2008 8:36:26 AM
Merula

Hi, I'm Chris Payne a professional musician and professional thereminist whenever I can be! Mainly I'm a violinist working with acoustic and electric violin with electronics and looping. I also compose. Check out my websites:
www.c2cstudios.com and also still in progress: www.merulaproject.com

I play an Etherwave Pro
Posted: 2/7/2008 12:33:41 PM
Joe_Sixpack

Hello, my name is Joe and I am a swing drummer. I have been playing with the Neon Swing X-perience for the past 6 years. I love playing percussion, but I wanted to try something different. Specifically a pitched instrument.

I came across a video of someone playing a theremin on the net and that was the first time I had seen a theremin. I was speechless. Needless to say, I had found my new instrument. I jumped online, did some digging and ordered an etherwave.
Posted: 2/10/2008 8:21:15 PM
Squeals

Hey everyone! I just got a brand spanking new Etherwave three days ago and can currently scare my cat with it!

Here's to practice!
Posted: 2/11/2008 6:05:54 PM
teslatheremin

Squeals!
Ha! HA! I LOVE YOUR NAME!
Welcome to Theremin World!
And, by the way, I have noticed that my cats will conspiratorily jump at my moving pitch hand, especially when I am recording.
Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 2/15/2008 12:15:35 PM
djpb_designs

Hi all,

Guess I ought to introduce myself ...

I have about 20 years or so of electronics design experience of all sorts. Over that time I have toyed with the idea of building a theremin once in a while, but it become more of a passion after seeing the tribute show to Bob Moog. I got very busy for a few years, then this passion was re-ignited after seeing the Theremin DVD. There's something very haunting about those early pictures of Clara Rockmore playing her theremin!

I am starting with a variation of Christopher's RS Theremin (it's very simple and inexpensive!).

I also have a lot of experience in audio for musical instruments (amp design, etc).

I have spent quite a while poking around on this site. Great stuff here! I look forward to getting to know you all in this quest to build a theremin.

Don

Posted: 2/23/2008 5:08:30 PM
Niikol

Hello! Just a 16-year old guy who got interested in theremins. No great tales of heroic proportions to tell here.

Now, I need to actually buy one, but that will have to wait for summer. Meanwhile, I have lot's of knowledge to collect about those things.
Posted: 2/28/2008 11:57:49 AM
marychristo

Hi,
I just joined the forum. I received a Theremin for my birthday. Not too many people have that on their wish list! I became fascinated with Theremins since my Dark Shadows days in the 60s. Back then I had no idea what a Theremin was...it was only after watching the series as an adult that I became interested in finding out how that sound was produced. I'm happy to have found this site and its forums. I have a lot to learn!
Mary

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.