SC mod vs Theremax

Posted: 4/6/2008 2:43:41 PM
snake 10143

Hello,

I've been looking to buy a theremin kit for a while and as I'm going to be working over the I'll be able to afford one. I'm 16 and I've been fascinated by theremins literally before I can remember. I've got two choices:

I could buy the PAIA Theremax kit (the entire one, as I can't see myself building a case). But I find it a bit pricy seeing as I'll probably need an amp too (or can I use headphones with the full-size jack to half-size jack adapter I use on my keyboard?).

Or I could buy the Jaycar "Silicon Chip" Theremin and mod it like hell, new case, nicer timbre etc. but what I'd like to know is this: is it possible to mod the SC theremin into a musical instrument? I know the Kees Enkelaar is based on the SC but I'm afraid that means practically redesigning the thing...

Note: I'm good enough in electronic theory, but I've never used a soldering iron before (mind you I'm pretty handy with a blowtorch, and I've been told that soldering irons are *a little* easier to use ;-) )

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.