theremin amp

Posted: 7/13/2008 11:28:35 AM
thereminjul

getting back to learning the theremin, have etherwave, need practice amp--
can't spend more than US$100 on an amp and won't be gigging or anything, or tossing the amp around the room...
any suggestions?
thanks
jul
Posted: 7/13/2008 1:07:31 PM
Thierry

Hi Julie, see our answers on levnet...
Posted: 7/13/2008 1:26:54 PM
thereminjul

Merci, Thierry.
Jul
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:36:43 PM
teslatheremin

Hey!
This is Theremin World! Why couldn't anyone share all that secret info available, on that other 'plane' of existance, with all of us here?
Hmm, Thierry?

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:30:16 PM
Thierry

Dear teslatheremin,
please don't feel offended by my posting. I just wanted to explain that all what I had to say on this subject had already been said on levnet where Julie had asked the same question.

Out of that (this is perhaps my fault and I beg your pardon) I had got the impression that most of TW members were also on the levnet mailing list. Finally my inner information theoretician just wanted to obviate redundancy, that's all.

I will never again refer to levnet
:-(
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:27:05 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I will never again refer to levnet....

LOL! Thierry, -
I know what you mean about redundancy.. but Levnet can be a bit of a bother, not quite as easy to follow threads or post as it is on TW.. or at least that is my expierience.

I think it would be great if there could be a 'Levnet' thread on TW - just picking up the levnet posts and 'pasting' them here, without the ability to reply to them from TW.

In order to benefit from the wealth of postings related to Theremins, one really needs to read both the postings here, and those on levnet.. Some people who never post here are extremely knowledgable, and it is worth ploughing through levnet to find these gems.

But - there is an awful lot of duplication between what is posted here and on levnet - and this does result in much wasted effort.. effort by those who take the time to post at both 'venues', and effort by those reading both.

I value your contributions on both.. And you have the task of translating to english some quite difficult ideas - Your postings are perfect english - better than some for whom it is their first language...

Dont be discouraged!
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:14:33 AM
carport888

I think TW is more publically accessable, whilst maintaining the anonymity that the internet so efortlessly facilitates, while Levnet is more of a gathering for those who prefer to know who they are comunicating with. Anonymity is not fashionable on the Levnet, which may turn some people off to it.

Also, TW is good for searching through different threads with different info, and participating in only what interests each person, while Levnet is good for a large group conversation, where most everyone is usually on the same page.

Each have their own strengths, and their own following, with members overlapping like a Venn Diagram. I post at both venues, as I enjoy the knowledge transfer from both settings. Anonymous or not, info is info. :)
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:30:43 AM
GordonC

I thought the anonymity worked the other way around - levnet is only available to subscribers - Google does not see the archives. Some levnetters take this as an opportunity to speak more frankly and directly than they would in an open forum - an aspect which is attractive to some people and repels others.

Oh, and Jul, I apologise for being part of this outrageous hijacking of your thread. :-)
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:51:56 AM
carport888

Hi Gordon :)
That's what I meant to say, that since Levnet is not anonymous, some people may be turned off from joining. You're good at rephrasing what I meant to say in a way that actially says what I meant to say, if that makes sense. Since Levnet is a subscription, I meant to say that those subscribed all tend to usually be on the same page with more topics, since EVERY post is emailed to everyone on the list. Here, you need to subscribe to a thread to get notifications for its postings. Also, I enjoy the frankness of Levnet. ;)

Steering back to topic, I went down to Guitar Center yesterday (Sunday, it's still pretty late\early here) with my Theremin to try out some amps. I really liked the Roland Cube Street. It's got a lot of effects, and a bypass mode that preserves the sound of the Theremin quite nicely. I even managed to get a bit of a crowd going, mostly employees who wanted to try it out.

However, the store was quite loud and not the best place to hear the subtlties of the amp's quieter settings. Directly plugging my line-level Theremin into the amp didn't phase it one bit. Even at full volume, any overdriving was only noticeable when distortion effects were applied. It got nice and loud, too, but not noisy pub loud. The $300 price tag snapped me back to reality, though.

Overall, it was a fun experience.
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:02:18 AM
thereminjul

from GordonC:
"Oh, and Jul, I apologise for being part of this outrageous hijacking of your thread. :-)"

---
that's ok Gordon, you guys are a lot more fun than my other lists.
Jul

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.