Question about starting to practice

Posted: 11/15/2009 10:40:12 PM
JimSn

Hi, I'm a beginner and own a B3. I've watched a few videos on how to start playing the theremin, but none of them has told me what I want to know: that is, how to practice?

What I'm getting at is that I'm a seasoned musician--I've played sax and all the woodwind and brass instruments for many, many years. Whenever I start a new instrument, I get a fingering chart and start learning from a method book: single notes at first, then scales and simple studies and melodies. I have yet to find a "theremin method" book or guide similar to this style of teaching/learning.

My gut tells me to start learning the theremin by trying to play scales. But since no one seems to teach that way, I fear I may be wasting my time.

What do you all think? I really want to learn to play well and am willing to put in the time and work. But I want to do it right! Can I approach learning the theremin the same way I've learned my wind instruments? Or do I need to do it a different way? And what way is that? Thanks for your help.
Posted: 11/16/2009 12:09:01 AM
btl

wish i could teel ya. im wondering the samething. ill watch your thread to hopefully find an answer too..gl
Posted: 11/16/2009 10:23:31 AM
kkissinger

JimSn,

To practice scales is valuable -- you can find elsewhere on this site a link to some exercises written by Clara Rockmore.

Check out the "Spellbound" podcasts. When you hear a thereminist that plays with the style and repertoire in which you'd like to play, then find out what technique that performer uses.

All the best!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.