Theremin novice...

Posted: 1/6/2010 7:32:36 PM
Frank

Hello everyone. I received a Moog Etherwave kit for Christmas (from my lovely wife). It's something I've wanted to try for some time. I haven't even finished the assembly yet, but I gave it a nice rosewood finish. I'll post pix when it's completed.

I played drums in various bands in the 70's and 80's. Played a little in the 90's when I taught myself just enough keyboard, guitar, and bass to embarrass myself. I've been writing and recording my own songs for a few years, and wanted to learn something totally different. Can't wait to incorporate its unique sound into some of my songs (as soon as I learn how to play. LOL!). Also hope to learn a lot from the thereminists on this site.

Frank
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:38:10 AM
Brian R

Hi, Frank--

Welcome to Theremin World! Looking forward to seeing what you've done with your cabinet. And you'll be pleased to know that, compared to those other instruments, the theremin offers far, far greater opportunities to embarrass yourself. :-)

All best,

Br.
Posted: 1/7/2010 9:35:46 AM
grundrauschen

Hi Frank!
Welcome from another Theremin novice since xmas :-) Making the first steps on Theremin doesn't seem to be very easy. But you surely can get also nice "effects" out of it when frustration comes up and then youre all happy again :-) At least thats the case for me!

Greetings, Tobias
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:03:35 PM
Frank

Thanks for the welcome, Brian and Tobias. Yes, I'm sure there is plenty of opportunity for humiliation. LOL! But as Tobias says, I can always resort to sound effects, when music fails. I should have it completed this weekend, and the frustration can begin. :o)

Looks like we are almost neighbors, Brian.

Frank
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:58:02 AM
Frank

I've completed the build, and got it tuned. Now comes the hard part...

My new toy (http://tinyurl.com/yzyh49s)

The rosewood finish...
Close-up (http://tinyurl.com/yf7t8jv)

Frank
Posted: 1/17/2010 8:04:36 AM
GordonC

Nice finish. Good start...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.