Theremin tuning

Posted: 1/18/2010 7:00:56 PM
Frank

I tuned my new Etherwave... I think. I'm starting to get a feel for octaves, arpeggios, and scales (or trying to). My question is, should there be a linear relationship between pitch and distance to the antenna? That is, if the first octave is 8 inches, should the second octave be another 8 inches? It seems the higher the pitch, the shorter the distance between notes. It may be normal, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Frank
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:17:37 PM
GordonC

Linearity is the ideal case. As you have correctly observed, the etherwave is not perfectly linear.

Moving your torso closer to the pitch rod when playing in the high frequencies will tend to expand the field and spread the notes out.
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:05:19 AM
coalport

Hi Frank,

No theremin is "perfectly linear". As with fingerboard string instruments, the distance of a semitone in the higher octaves is shorter than the distance of a semitone in the lower octaves.

Clara Rockmore used to say that modern thereminists were too "greedy" because they often wanted a six or seven octave range on their instruments. This made precision playing extremely difficult because the distance between notes in an 18 or 20 inch playing arc was too small to control accurately.

I am not sure about the new generation of Moog Etherwave theremins, but the older models (from the mid 90's) had a linearity that was extremely "pinched" the closer you got to the pitch antenna. Playing anywhere near C6 (that's "high C", two octaves above Middle C on a keyboard) was practically impossible because the space between semitones was only about a quarter of an inch. It is my understanding that the later model Etherwaves are much improved.

Bob Moog solved the problem of linearity vs the demand for more range by adding a range selection knob (low, middle and high) to the Etherwave Pro. Each of the three ranges is one octave up or down from the other. If you are a reasonably skilled player (and if you use a pitch preview) you can actually switch ranges in the middle of a piece provided there is a rest of a bar or so that will permit you to do it. This would be like a violinist being able to switch to the cello in the middle of a concerto!

A few years ago I physically measured the distances between all the notes within the playing arcs of the RCA, Ethervox, Etherwave (old model) and Etherwave Pro theremins and illustrated them on a comparison chart. I did this by stretching a piece of fine white thread from the rods of each of the instruments, attaching it to a wall several feet away, and then carefully marking the positions of the tones on the thread with a magic marker. I used an 18 inch playing arc as the standard. You can see the chart at the following URL on my website:

linearity chart (http://www.peterpringle.com/linearity2.jpeg)

You can readily see from the chart that theremin linearity and configuration vary greatly between instruments. "Configuration" refers to the number and placement of the notes within a theremin's playing arc. "Linearity" refers to the distances between those notes.

Posted: 1/19/2010 8:06:14 AM
Thereminstrel

Yes, with most theremins the notes do get gradually closer together the nearer they are to the antenna. Some theremins are more "linear" than the Etherwave Standard, but in my personal experience of the "more linear" ones I've tried, (Etherwave Pro and Wavefront Classic), there's still some variation.

Having to play with closer finger positions the higher you get in pitch isn't unique to the theremin - it's the same with the violin.

Leaning in with the torso (to slightly widen the theremin's field) is one method many opt for. Another, (my preference), is to graduate the playing arc, playing at a steeper angle the closer you get to the antenna to compensate for the compacted notes.
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:10:55 AM
Thereminstrel

Coalport>>
I remember seeing your linearity chart some time ago ... and wondering how you'd managed to chart the notes so accurately. Glad you've explained; very logically done! Thank you!
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:10:56 PM
Frank

Thanks for the information. Good analogy to stringed instruments. Coalport, the chart is really interesting. Been working in technique - octaves, arpeggios, scales. Not easy, but I should have "Three Blind Mice" down pretty soon. LOL!
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:50:21 AM
coalport

Remember Frank, with the theremin it is not the difficulty of the piece that is going to impress people. It is the unique beauty of expression that you can bring to the simplest of melodies.

Clara Rockmore's theremin axiom "LESS IS MORE" is true on many levels.

The theremin, when it comes to precision playing, is a "one trick pony" but the trick, once it is mastered, is magical. Attempts to push the pony to do tricks it just isn't built to perform are bound to disappoint. We thereminists, in our enthusiasm for the instrument and our desire to push the envelope, tend to forget this.

Posted: 1/21/2010 5:04:39 PM
GordonC

When you think about the lyrics, Three Blind Mice is a very sad song.
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:47:05 PM
Frank

Hmmm... so true. I don't want PETA on my case!
The theme from "Summer of '42" would be much more challenging, anyway. LOL!
Posted: 1/21/2010 7:36:57 PM
coalport

Don't underestimate THREE BLIND MICE!

Three Blind Mice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPvbr_647M)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.