Roll Call! - 2010!

Posted: 11/15/2010 10:31:13 AM
RCA Theremin

Hi all,

Ernie here. Long time composer, arranger, music editor. Thanks much for this website. Love it. Learning the Theremin myself now and it has been a long time coming. Always have loved the instrument.

My goal as a player is to play each note like a pearl. (So I will be starting with whole notes :) ) Intonation is key.

My goal as a collector (Which takes up a good amount of my time) is to find an RCA Theremin in good shape. If anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.
Posted: 12/20/2010 2:16:54 PM
Amethyste

Hello Everyone!

My name is Amethyste ( yep! It's my real name! ) and I am an ambient vocalist. I have been obssessed with the Theremin for quite some time and I have sent my request to Santa this year that I'd like to have one for Xmas. I have been REALLY REALLY good this year!!!

I always wanted to learn an instrument ( other than voice ) and would love to include the Theremin playing into my future CD recordings!

I assume it will take me YEARS of practice - though I have a good ear, but the technique is really leaving me in the unknown as there are no theremin teachers in my area ( I live in the Boonies! ) and hopefully I will not learn wrongly...

Anyhow, just wanted to say "hey"!
Posted: 12/20/2010 3:23:37 PM
GordonC

Hi Amethyste, welcome to Theremin World.

I've just listened to your recordings on ReverbNation and they are [i]gorgeous[/i] - truly wonderful. And theremin could work so well with your voice!

(One recording in particular that I uploaded to YouTube sprang to mind as I was listening - it's rough around the edges compared to what you're doing, but, well, here it is: Chikhai Bardo ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40pgG9VK8A&hd=1).)

Here's hoping Santa read your letter to him and put you on the "nice" list!
Posted: 12/20/2010 4:57:52 PM
Amethyste

Oh Hey there, Gordon!!!

Wow... you looked me up?? That is so cool! I have only little samples on Reverbnation, I have a total of 3 CDs and finishing the touches on my 4th at the moment... :) Thank you so kindly for the kind comments on my music/voice...

Gordon, how long do you think it might take me to be "proficient" at the Theremin? I know its an impossible question to answer... :( I studied the harp when I was in my early 20's and humm... that didn't fare so well lol.

Thanks for te warm welcome! I hope to learn loads on here! :)
Posted: 12/20/2010 8:30:04 PM
GordonC

Er, I found the link in your profile.

Ooh. Start with the easy questions!

It depends how you define "proficient", and how much time you're willing to put into it.

I'm probably not the right person to ask, really. About ten seconds after getting my first theremin I came to the conclusion that playing in tune was not the right path for me, so the last five years have been dedicated to finding ways to make sounds that please me without worrying about hitting precise pitches. And even with that major obstacle circumnavigated I still see more path ahead of me than behind. Lucky I'm enjoying the journey. :-)

I have heard "a couple of years" bandied about as a rule of thumb for classical playing. I think it's going to help that you have a good ear for pitch and a strong sense of what is musical, but as you suggested, acquiring a solid technique could well be a stumbling block.

Standard advice around here is to choose a thereminist you think is close to what you want to achieve and stick with them rather than cherry picking from a range of different styles. Which will be easier if you happen to choose one with plenty of footage on youTube and/or a method book or DVD.
Posted: 12/20/2010 8:59:39 PM
Amethyste

Gordon -

Lol... I let my enthousiasm get ahead of myself - I did realize that I have my link of my profile... lol.

I am excited to learn the thremin - hopefully, i'll be granted with one this christmas :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Posted: 5/10/2011 1:43:29 PM
ManFromNantucket

Technically, this is 2011

I joined this group because I am interested in building a theremin both to learn basic circuits as well as build an interment to play. I play guitar, vocals and piano. At the moment I play in a small bluegrass band. I love building wacky instruments for our group.

I have a PhD in Chemistry, so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to scientific things, but I've never taken a single course in circuits. Since my current research is actually in advanced electronic materials, learning how to build basic things will also advance my career.
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:31:09 PM
omhoge

HI ManFromNantucket welcome to ThereminWorld.
Hope you can find lots of useful info. about theremin building here, if the search doesn't find it please post your questions. We have a lot of experienced theremin builders hanging out here.

That band you are in sounds interesting, please tell us about it and how the theremin works out.

Yes it is 2011, we've been busy trying to get a new version of the site done and keep this one running, I can't believe six months have flown by already!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.