The Coolidge Corner Theater Theremin

Posted: 7/25/2005 4:53:42 AM
Naveed

i have uploaded the pictures to flickr.com. sorry if they are blurry, but my camera is a bit broken. i'm not too sure how to use flickr.com so, i'll just give you the names of the files as well as my username. this should give you enough info to find the pics. my username is naveed23 and the files are called:

variable capacitor side
variable capacitor bottom
transistor side
transistor bottom
transistor bag

as far as i can tell, the piece of metal on the bottom of the capacitor is solid with two connecting pins. and as for the transistors, i was assured that NTE 100 is exactly the same as 2N1264. if there is anything else you want me to take pictures of, please let me know.

thanks
Posted: 7/25/2005 9:46:18 AM
user

The help page on flickr has some information on how to share photos. You have to set it up. We can't log in without your e-mail address.

I tried to look up that transistor online and most of the links are to the Coolidge design! You think you have trouble using ASCII to describe things - one of the links was to a schematic drawn in ASCII. It was very hard to read.

From what I remember about transistor designations, the base is always in the center and the collector and emitter (the lead in the schematic with the arrow) are on either side. I believe the emitter is the one usually marked by a dot, but in this case, by a tab. Not sure about the shield. It may be offset and opposite of the base. You really only need to ID the other leads. the shield can be simply folded up out of the way.

What about the people who sold you the parts? Are you able to ask them?

You may want to breadboard (temporarily connect) the circuit to make sure it works before you put it in the case.
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:33:57 PM
Naveed

my email is naveedNOSPAM(at)shaw.ca without the NOSPAM and with an @. is that enough to find the pictures? what you said about the base, collector and emitter really made the diagram on the front of the bag make sense. on the bag i was using for the diagram it has lables B C and [, which just confused me. but the bag of another transistor has lables B C and E. so, correct me if i'm wrong but, i am assuming that those all stand for base, collecter and emitter respectively. i guess i could go to the store and ask them these questions to see if they would help me out, but they got annoyed when i asked them what gauge of wire they thought i should use.
Posted: 7/25/2005 4:11:48 PM
user

Sounds like an "E" lost it's "-" on one bag.
Posted: 7/25/2005 7:00:45 PM
Naveed

that's what i was thinking about the E, but the - is gone on two bags so who knows? i went down to the store that i bought my parts from and a different, nicer, person helped me. aparently the 2n1264 transistors don't come with the shield connection anymore and the two pins on the bottom of my variable capacitors are the same thing, but i need to connect both of them up anyways, just to the same spot. i found some four foot retractible TV "rabbit ears" to use instead of the whip antennas, do you think that will work? thanks for all of your help user and jason.
Posted: 7/25/2005 7:21:26 PM
user

Well, you can certainly set those at 38" but I am concerned about their close proximity to each other. The instructions call for them to be 7" apart. You can try them as they are, but you may end up taking the ears apart and remounting them.
Posted: 7/25/2005 9:01:05 PM
Naveed

i've alreasy taken them apart so that shouldn't be a problem. they were cheaper thban buying two antennas.
Posted: 7/26/2005 12:59:57 AM
Naveed

i mus have really been typing that last post fast

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.