looking for part for Moog's 1954 theremin

Posted: 10/29/2007 10:20:38 PM
Alan_in_CA

Wow! That's a real find. Once you have it restored, you can do contract coil winding!
Posted: 10/30/2007 9:47:14 AM
Iron

Its good to know that!
This winder just dusted long time ago at my uncle's. I paid no attention to it, till now.

I want to start with these stanwyck coils.
By the way guys, what do you think about those pics of the coils?
(Dayfan posted)

Are they wound by this over lapping technique?

Sure thing, teslatheremin, i send them by mail!

Regards,
Aaron
Posted: 10/30/2007 2:17:23 PM
Dayfan

The windings do overlap at an angle of about 20 degrees or 10 degrees each side of perpendicular to the coil axis. For those of you interested, there was a coil winding machine called a "Morris Coil Winding Machine" made that appears on Ebay periodically. It is a neat little hand cranked device with a turns counter and a variety of cams used for winding the different coils. I have one and it will wind all kinds of spider, lattice, etc. coils. Lindsay Publications sells (or sold) a book that tells how to make a coil winder.
Posted: 10/30/2007 2:21:41 PM
Dayfan

Here is the link to the coil winder book.
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/coil/index.html
Posted: 11/1/2007 4:35:17 PM
Iron

My winder can only wind in one kind of angle.

It guides wire from one side to another and then back in one turn.
The path of the wire on the form looks like e sine wave.
Well i guess i have to modify the sequence to get that 10° or 20° of angle.
Posted: 11/1/2007 9:34:03 PM
teslatheremin

Iron,
If the coil wrappings look like a sine-wave, your coil winding device was specially made for Alternate Current Radio Frequency choke coils. Alternate current has a sine-wave foot-print.
You have a great machine there--- don't change a thing! Use it to make some money! I would, if it was my possession.
Good Luck!

teslatheremin

Posted: 11/2/2007 6:59:58 AM
Iron

No, i dont want to modify in that way. Just to widen the usage of that little thing, to wind more types of coils!

Yes I could wind some replacemet chokes for old time
radios or maybe TV-s...
Replacements are not cheap...
It's not a bad idea!

Sometimes i dig myself into some business to cover the price of my projects.
Usually with selling some New-Old-Stock vaccum tubes.
Last time i sold a few rare tubes to tubedepot.com
and earned a lot!

I had a luck with the finding of those tubes.
Haha
Posted: 11/4/2007 10:27:54 AM
Dayfan

The angle you wind the coil apparently effects the Q of the coil, i.e. you get more inductance with less wire so the resistance is less for the amount of inductance you get. Try to get close to the angle but probably not too critical. If you duplicate the physical size, shape, and wire size on a comparable form wound at 10 degrees or so it should be close enough to work. The coil is a TV horizontal oscillator coil so any horizontal oscillator coil with a similar physical shape would probably work.
Posted: 2/5/2008 1:08:26 PM
jrehwin

I just managed to get my hands on four Stanwyck coils that seem to be the correct part. I plan on keeping two of 'em to build my own 1953 theremin, but could be talked into parting with the other two.
Posted: 2/5/2008 2:49:39 PM
my1920s

Congrats Jhrewin. And how may I talk you into it? Any other parts/tubes missing? Swap?

Best regards,

Aaron

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.