I want to build a theremin

Posted: 1/7/2006 11:27:11 PM
djorganic

Greetings
I would like to know how to build a theremin at a rather cheap price. I have been interested in eletronic music ever since I heard "computer world" by Kraftwerk, and that must have been around 1983. If anyone has plans to build a theremin type device please let me know
djorganic@thereminworld.com
Posted: 1/8/2006 12:29:40 AM
Jeff S

Well...what do you consider "cheap"? (That's a rhetorical question.)

You've come to a good place. On the Theremin World home page there's a link to a schematics page. That would be a great place to start.

Here's a shortcut:

http://www.thereminworld.com/schematics.asp

If you really don't want to start from scratch there's always the PAIA Theremax and Silicon Chip kits.
Posted: 1/9/2006 12:26:04 AM
hypergolic

Probably the PAIA Theremax is your best bet. The circuit board is less than 100 bux and you can fashion your own enclosure. Any other design is likely not to work very well. I have an Etherwave and am considering at Theremax just to have a second instrument.
Posted: 1/29/2006 3:55:09 PM
Etherdave

I too would recommend the Theremax. If you are familiar with electronic kit instructions and can solder, this is for you. Theremax is the best, most fully-featured theremin in its price range, and will allow you to learn and perfect traditional theremin technique. When ordering you may order only the basic electronic parts (PCB, console, antennae) to keep the inital cost at rock-bottom. Theremax can be built into a cardboard box, which is what I did when I first built mine. Then design and build your own custom cabinet according to the plans and recommendations in the Theremax manual.

If you want a real challenge, the full manual is STILL available from PAIA as a free gift: you can create your own PCB from perfboard or build point-to-point on a chassis of your own design. WARNING: some components may be difficult to obtain depending on your geographic region; ordering from PAIA is probably the most cost-effective way of getting all the right parts in a single order.
Posted: 6/8/2009 10:06:10 PM
Disco_Bandit

I am also planning to build a theremin, for a school science fair project. because i am only 13, i need something that is not too challenging, and can be found in New Zealand. What is there on offer?
Posted: 6/8/2009 10:06:18 PM
Disco_Bandit

I am also planning to build a theremin, for a school science fair project. because i am only 13, i need something that is not too challenging, and can be found in New Zealand. What is there on offer?
Posted: 6/8/2009 10:06:32 PM
Disco_Bandit

Posted: 6/9/2009 2:34:33 AM
Thierry

Just have a look on Jaycar's Theremin kit: click here (http://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?ID=KC5295)

It's not too expensive and they sell in New Zeeland

I've already built one (among others) and found it very easy. If you decide for this kit, I may also help you at distance (i.e. via Skype) to tune or to debug it.

Finally please write ten times:
"I shall not do repeated posts with identical content."

:o)
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:07:08 AM
GordonC

The Harrison Minimum Theremin (http://harrisoninstruments.com/101/101_description.html) is also a popular choice for school science projects.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.