New Silicon Chip Mini Theremin Mk. 2

Posted: 8/22/2006 3:38:18 AM
tatems

Hullo from Australia.
In a recent issue of Silicon Chip (an Australian electronics magazine) a new and improved theremin has been designed and published, bearing the name of The Mini Theremin MK. 2. This theremin (seen at http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_107101/article.html)
is able to do much more than the Theremin which was published in 2003. It features:

# External pitch & volume span adjustments
# Linear pitch change with hand movement over four octaves
# Linear volume control with hand movement
# Three sound variation controls
# Signal level adjustment
# Internal loudspeaker with headphone listening option
# Loudspeaker/headphone volume control
# Line output with muting switch for amplifier connection
# 12V DC operation from plugpack or battery

This Theremin seems like an ideal build and even a starting point for modification.

The theremin is designed with liearity and waveform adjustments in mind which makes this theremin easier to play than the Mk.1 version (2003)Tone is also addressed in the article with a wide variety of timbres with the theremin can produce.

I have the article and it can be found in newsagencies in Australia and New Zealand but also it can be purchased online. I don't want to make the article public yet due to copyright restrictions.

Enjoy

Regards
Tim
Posted: 8/29/2006 3:42:29 PM
robonil

thanks Tim, it seems very nice model, a novel too, id like to able to see the full article, the schematics obviously, keep on theremin
Cris
Posted: 8/29/2006 3:44:29 PM
robonil

hi, its me again, Tim, could you do something to make possible my request?, thanks again!!
Posted: 8/29/2006 5:59:17 PM
TomFarrell

So, I recently ordered the original Silicon Chip Theremin kit from Jaycar, as well as their MIDI Theremin kit. A couple days later this announcement comes out, and I felt a little bummed.

Then my kits arrived yesterday, and enclosed with them was a flyer selling the "kit of the month" : the mark II Theremin kit. (*sigh*) If they'd phoned me or emailed me, they could have made a quick extra hundred bucks, I'd have happily switched my order to the new kit, which is priced at a bit less than three times the price of the old one. Ah well, I'll assemble the kits I have, and then decide if I want yet another Theremin. (Their cases really are much too small by the way, so my decision to construct new cases for them seems right.)

I notice that the kit isn't available on the Jaycar web site yet: I was looking for it last night so I could link to it from my web site.
Posted: 9/20/2006 8:12:55 PM
tatems

Hullo all,

Sorry i haven't been replying i've been going through my final exams for school (i'm in my last year of school here in Australia). Now that holidays are around i'll be able to build the theremin. when i have a chance i'll post part of the article but not all of it due to copyright. I'll post the schematic and the placement and parts list. The pcb is available from this website

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/attachments/show.html?year=2006&month=July

I'll keep you posted on the build. However looking at the schematic, it looks east to put in pitch preview.

Enjoy
Tim
Posted: 9/22/2006 6:48:08 PM
robonil

everything its ok!,a lot of thanks, were waiting for the "rest", regards
Cris
Posted: 10/13/2006 11:00:17 PM
TomFarrell

Jaycar has now posted the kit for sale:
[long url wrapped, tw staff]
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?
ID=KC5426&CATID=&keywords=theremin&SPECIAL=&
form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&
pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
Posted: 11/1/2006 10:29:05 PM
robonil

hi Tim!
how is the theremin? is it finished?
give us the news of your mk II.
Cris
Could you give me your e-mail...?
Posted: 11/9/2006 9:00:46 AM
tatems

Hey

I'll be posting the article very soon. (in the next few weeks)

It's been a few longgggggggggg and slowwwwwwwww months lol, but i'm nearly finished school for good.

I'll keep you posted, sorry about the wait.

Regards
Tim
Posted: 11/26/2006 3:40:59 AM
tatems

Give me a few days.
Hopefully i can post the schematic and layout.
I'm finished school now and have just stopped partying!

Tim

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.