Which Theremin to Build? - (No this is not a "I'm new to this thread")

Posted: 1/20/2007 8:47:47 AM
tatems

Hello all.

Before you stop here this is not another: 'I’m new to this, what can I build' thread!

I am now going into university studying music, majoring in Composition. Now I have had a big interest in writing for the theremin but if my works were to be performed I would play the theremin myself.

Now you see my dilemma is as follows. I have already built the Jaycar/Silicon Chip theremin and I have performed on it. It has served me well and I have learnt allot from it, but I want to build a quality theremin (which sounds good, has good playabilty and is reliable) for performance use but for a moderate price (up to $200Aus). I have seen many theremin designs and I don't know which one to choose. I would build them all if I had the money, time and patience! So now it’s down to the Theremax, The EM 1996 Article by Robert Moog (Basically the Etherwave) and the RS Theremin from Lev's page.

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ultimate2b/index.htm

Now onto the theremins:

The problem with Robert Moog’s article is trying to get the right variable inductors. I'm not sure if I can even get hold of them. So if I choose that theremin I will have to design and make my own coils.

Schematic seen here:

www.moogmusic.com/manuals/HotRodEtherwav.pdf

The theremax is good but how does it go with linear spacing and drift, not to mention sound?

Schematic seen here:

http://www.paia.com/theremax.asp

And the RS theremin seems to boast great linear spacing with its aerial design but can it live up to its reputation?

So let this be the thread to help people (like me) who want a theremin that they can rely on and have confidence in.

Which one would you choose and why?

Regards

Tim
Posted: 1/20/2007 10:42:46 PM
tatems

Update:

Since posting last night I've found that i forgot about Lev's theremin not having any volume control circuitry. Also i have listened to some of the sound clips and have decided that i don't like the tone all that much. So now it's down to the 1996 Em Article by Moog and the Theremax. At the moment I'm leaning towards the theremax because of available parts but Moog's article sure is tempting.

Also a while back I mentioned the Silicon Chip Mark II Theremin which was in the July and August issues of silicon chip. This seems to be a good theremin also with heaps of controls and improved linear spacing. I have the article if anyone is interested.

Here is the website with a few details.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_107101/article.html

Cheers

Tim
Posted: 1/27/2007 8:43:23 AM
tatems

Any thoughts?

I think i might try and build a theremin case like the big briar model for the theremin i make. I have a month of holiday before i go to uni.

Posted: 1/27/2007 11:15:25 AM
Charlie D

All I can say is that I've yet to hear a homemade chip theremin that can accurately play melodic music. It might be tough, but I'd expect that if you wanted seriously to record melodic music (as opposed to the avant-garde) then you'd need to invest either in a decent theremin, or hire someone to record for you.

If you're going to rely on someone else's schematics, then Moog's are the only one I can really speak on behalf of. Both the E'Pro and Etherwave Standard have served me well in the past.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing any of the recordings you choose to make public.
Posted: 1/27/2007 2:34:14 PM
TomFarrell

Uncle Howie recently sent me a bunch of information on improving and properly tuning the Silicon Chip theremin (aka Jaycar theremin) design, which I'll be posting on the web shortly. I'm just organizing the information and transforming it into standardized formats before I post it.

I'll be doing the mods on my own kit, so I'll let everyone know how it comes out.
Posted: 2/1/2007 9:42:52 PM
teslatheremin

Hello,
I have built a Theremax, and have used the mods available here and at the PAiA website to heighten it's potential.
I find it very playable, even more so after the aforementioned modifications. Especially, I believe the pitch linearity improved and the timbre voicing became more varied over the standard kit.
I can play pitches very effectively over a six octave range with a two foot or fifteen inch pitch antenna spread, depending on the mod option switching. And, I can get a timbre from a mellow mew to a truely believable human female soprano voice. With the proper processing and mod switching, startling cello and voilin timbres can also be acquired.
I must admit that the lowest and highest octave ranges on the Theremax are not as linear in pitch response as the middle four, but not so much to as be a playing liability. Probably very similar to the Etherwave.
But,then again, the Etherwave does not have as many easily applicable timbre modifications. Also, PAiA sells a great kit to allow MIDI data to be sent from the Theremax to control other MIDI instruments with pitch, volume, modulation, etc.. And the Theremax has built in Control Voltage outputs for pitch, volume, velocity, and trigger/gate for modular synthes.
I may well buy an Etherwave or EPro someday, but I am very happy with the Theremax that I bought and modified and MIDIfied.
Good Luck with any Theremin you decide to buy,
because playing the Theremin is a Joy!
teslatheremin
Posted: 2/6/2007 8:30:45 AM
tatems

Thanking you very much for the replies.

I am leaning towards the theremax, seeing as it is easier to mod timbre wise and also the extra features might be usefull. I will still build the etherwave, infact i'm collecting parts right now.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these theremins?

Tim
Posted: 2/10/2007 1:08:40 PM
Ardor

Tatems could you keep us updated on your progress on the EM Moog theremin? Such as part sources for anything hard to find.

Are you going to make the circuit board yourself? Have one professionally made?
Posted: 3/6/2007 8:33:39 AM
tatems

Sure thing, at the moment i'm building a theremax but sometime in the near future i will embark on the moog mission.
Posted: 3/6/2007 2:44:42 PM
Ardor

Cool!

I'm building a theremax too. I've got it assembled I just have to ground it and tune the coils. I've very excited! I can't wait to hear it make some sound! :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.