Theremin Antennas

Posted: 2/21/2007 5:39:54 PM
hypergolic

Can anyone tell me a good source for theremin antennas other than Moog Music, who want about 50 bux for a pair. I'm building a Keppinger tube theremin.

Thanks

Philip
Posted: 2/22/2007 1:04:03 AM
jon

you could try making this one (http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ult_antenna/index2.htm)... i've tried making just the spring-inside-a-tube bit, and it works really well with my digital theremin.
Posted: 3/8/2007 7:31:44 PM
Brian R

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or under "Theremin Humor"...

Today, a student at MIT told me that in her dorm, her peers have constructed a theremin [i]stripper pole[/i]. When I asked about the pitch, she told me that yes, they've tuned the pitch low so that it doesn't emit an ear-splitting squeal when dancers grasp it, swing around it, etc.

She tells me their future plans include 1) connecting it to their dance floor, and 2) replacing the metal pole with a see-through one, replete with flashing colored lights inside.

Given Glinsky's account of Lev's eye for the young ladies right up to the end of his life, I suspect that the inventor would not be horrified by this particular application of the technology.

Posted: 3/8/2007 8:54:18 PM
Jon B

Which dorm?
Posted: 3/8/2007 9:30:38 PM
Brian R

I didn't catch the name of the dorm. I'm thinking it wasn't Senior House, as that certainly would have registered instantly.

I'll see if I can find out which dorm, via the instructor for the class I was visiting.
Posted: 3/8/2007 10:01:43 PM
Jon B

Thanks. Do let me know if you find out.
Posted: 3/9/2007 11:38:45 PM
Ardor

I made my antennas out of 3/8" copper coil I got at Home Depot. The package says that it's for water service, air conditioning, natural gas & liquified petroleum gas. Made by Streamline Mueller. I found it in the plumbing area.

It comes in a coil but you can straighten it by hand. Do it slow and careful and you don't have to worry about it kinking. Yeah it's copper and not chrome but for $11 I can live with that.
Posted: 3/12/2007 7:09:43 PM
Brian R

Hi, Jon--

The word is: East Campus.

All best,

Br.
Posted: 3/28/2007 3:33:44 AM
Parsa

I'm coming up with ideas for building my first theremin. I'll probably buy a Theremax circuit kit. I'm looking at old portable tube radio cases for the chassis. I'm thinking sparkle flake paint (or Metalcast paint) and a Jetsons look. I want the volume capacitor plate to be a sort of boomerang/kidney shape and the pitch capacitor to be a rod with a couple rings on it like all the gizmos in the Jetsons.

What's a good source and material for a thick rod? I have some pretty fat 3/4 inch aluminum rods from my physics lab that I don't use. They are the kind that are a bit pointed on one end and wedge into sockets in the lab tables. I think they are pretty long though ... 3 feet (~1 meter). I could cut them I guess. Maybe I have an 18 inch cross bar lying around.... I also have thinner threaded steel rods but that would be pretty heavy.

Parsa
Posted: 3/28/2007 6:09:25 AM
GordonC

I suggest you paint your cabinet [i]before[/i] tuning your theremin circuit - paint with metal content will alter your theremin's response.

(Also, for a theremin with a strong Jetsons look, check this. http://www.pureimaginationco.com/theremin.html.)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.