Replica 1930s Diamond Speaker: Mike's Construction Progress

Posted: 7/17/2008 3:15:50 PM
omhoge

mikebuffington, you've done so much astounding thank you so much for sharing the details in the other threads.

I'm just revisiting here in case you've decided to take requests to build Diamond Speakers for other people. I'd really love to have one but know I'm not going to have the time to do it myself for many years.

Posted: 7/17/2008 4:39:31 PM
mikebuffington

Thanks omhoge,

Progress is slow going. I am caught up with theremin cabinets still. I'd like to share my construction process of those, since I've done things differently since my first cabinet, so maybe I can write up an article for this site.

About the speakers. The current caretaker of Clara's diamond speaker would be willing to let me look at it closely, but our schedules have not lined up, and for a while I won't be able to see it. Floyd's drawings are very extremely detailed, but of course it's better to have access to an original for making replicas.

Currently, I am making the wood bases for 2 speakers, but the metal work and the grill weaving is a ways off in the distance. It might be feasible to create a simplified version of the speakers that would be easier to make and therefor cheaper as well. If I can streamline the construction process, I might go this route. I welcome requests or feedback for demand of diamond speakers and to what degree of accuracy, though I won't be able to make them for a while (or at least in the US. Londoners and EU people might be an exception). Stay tuned.

Mike

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.