My Theremax project

Posted: 10/11/2007 12:20:29 AM
Alan_in_CA

The case is finished, the urethane varnish just has to cure hard.

To connect the antennae, I found 1/2 inch ring terminals at Kragen Auto Parts and reamed them out to 9/16 inch with a round file. Looks good.

The open end of the pitch antenna seemed unaesthetic, but I couldn't find a satisfactory matching plug or cap. Finally I rounded the end of a 3/8 inch dowel (same diameter as the antenna), stained and finished it to match the case, and cut off a small piece (about 1/2 inch). I put a bit of hot glue into the end of the antenna, pushed a bit of 1/4 inch dowel in flush with the metal, and added a dab of super glue to hold the finished bit of 3/8 inch dowel. Doesn't look bad.

I cleaned off the work bench (well, enough of it) and tomorrow will set up for electronic assembly.
Posted: 10/12/2007 10:25:57 PM
Alan_in_CA

I got things set up for assembly of the circuit board today; found a simple stool for my workbench ($8 US unassembled at Harbor Freight Tools), which will be very helpful. I am working this weekend at a small rural hospital, so won't be able to do any soldering--but when on standby I may be able to emplace some of the parts, ready to solder on Monday.
Posted: 10/14/2007 3:58:40 AM
Alan_in_CA

Today I got the resistors and capacitors sorted out preparatory to soldering, which I maya be able to commence on Monday. A magnifying glass is pretty much a necessity, and I was very glad I had an ohmmeter to double-check my identifiction of the resistors. Some of the color coding bands on the resistors look much the same under fluorescent lights.
Posted: 10/14/2007 5:35:57 PM
Alan_in_CA

Gordon--A question for you about GarageBand. What is a practical way to get the sound out of the amplifier and into the Mac so I can save and post a sound clip? Once I get my Tmax put together, if the sound is not bad I am toying with the idea of posting samples for people's comments. (Not having another theremin for comparison.)
TIA
Alan
Posted: 10/14/2007 5:43:18 PM
Alan_in_CA

Or out of the theremin and into the Mac, for that matter.
Posted: 10/14/2007 7:55:13 PM
GordonC

Hi Alan,

It depends on what Mac you've got. My previous iBook had a pretty rough built in mic and no audio in, so I bought a USB headset for Skypeing and it works just fine for recording theremin too. Put the mic as close to the centre of the speaker as is feasible.

It's a Plantronics DSP-500 headset, bought from the Apple online store. (My current macBook has a better built in mic - I used it to record the Gakken Theremin Mini pieces, but I'll be sticking with the headset for recording my real theremins.)

From a recording music point of view I prefer to mike the amp than take a direct feed from the theremin as I regard my amp as part of my instrument. For audio samples I might not want the extra colouring that the amp imparts. My current macBook has line-in, so I could use that directly - but if it didn't then there are audio to usb converters available. (It also has optical digital in, but I don't know anything about that. It sounds expensive!)

The quick and dirty way to take a feed is using a line splitter - an adaptor with a 1/4" mono jack plug at one end and two 1/4" mono jack sockets at the other (or vice versa.) The downside is that you are halving the volume when you split the signal. The proper solution is (I believe) called a D.I. Box - but someone else would need to tell you about those.

Or your amp might have a line-out socket, in which case use that. (Headphone sockets are useless - they mute the darned amp.)

Whichever method you use, select it in system preferences, check the levels on the meter (if it is adjustable), open Garageband, create a real audio track and press record. :-)
Posted: 10/14/2007 7:55:15 PM
GordonC

Oops. Double posting.
Posted: 10/14/2007 11:41:06 PM
Alan_in_CA

Many thanks, Gordon. I got home from working the weekend a couple of hours ago, showered, had dinner, a bit of liquid bread, and am currently relaxing. Checked my Mac--a PowerMac G4 desktop, and found it has an audio in port. But as it happens, I also have a Plantronics USB headset mic that I got anticipating I would use Skype--but put aside when I discovered Jajah.com. I had wondered if I could use the headset mic, because it seems such a simple solution. Thanks to your reassurance, I will. The room with the G4 is rather too crowded to add the theremin and associated gadgets--but I can put the theremin in the next room, run a cable through the door and get the amp close enough to the computer. And I should be the one to apologize for double posting--wasn't sure you would see my question here, so put it on the front page thread also.
Posted: 10/14/2007 11:44:28 PM
Alan_in_CA

Oh, one more question: You say to "check the levels on the meter"--what meter? Is that something in Preferences?
Posted: 10/15/2007 5:16:14 AM
GordonC

Yes.

In the Sound prefs panel, under the Input tab there should be a input level meter and an input volume slider.

like this (http://www.wap.org/journal/digitizingcassettes/ss1soundpanel.jpg)

N.B. On the subject of GarageBand - one thing it doesn't do is noise removal. For that I use the shareware product Amadeus Pro (http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html). Very good.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.